Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

69 Posts

September 18th, 2007 16:00

strange Lat D820 problem

Hello.  I've run across a strange problem that only shows up on the Latitude D820 laptops.  This doesn't occur on other models like the D600 or D610 series (haven't tried others).

We've been setting up our systems for Wake-on-LAN.
On the D820s, here's what I've discovered:
  • If the laptop is by itself & WOL is turned on, it will shut off properly.
  • If the laptop is docked in its port replicator, WOL is turned on and it has no monitor connected, it shuts off properly.
  • If the laptop is docked in its port replicator, WOL is turned on and it has a monitor connected VGA, it shuts off properly.
  • If the laptop is docked in its port replicator, WOL is turned on and it has a monitor connected DVI, IT WON'T SHUT OFF, IT WILL POWER OFF FOR A SECOND THEN RIGHT BACK ON.
It doesn't matter what brand or model of monitor it uses, only if it's on DVI or not.  It's not coming from the LAN signal because it happens even if it's not connected to any network (even has the LAN cable unplugged & the wireless turned off).  I've tried different BIOS revisions including A07 (the latest) & no help.  I've also tried just turning it off without even loading Windows & it does the same thing, so it's not an operating system problem.

Here's the strange thing, though:  If I shut down the D820 while docked but turn off the monitor before the D820 powers off, it stays off. 

It's only if the DVI-connected monitor is on when it shuts off then it won't stay powered off.

The reason I'm posting this in the BIOS section is because there must be something in the BIOS that is making it think the DVI signal is a WOL signal.

Can someone pass this on to the BIOS team to see if there is a fix for this that can be updated?

Thanks.

Message Edited by scarfman on 09-18-2007 12:14 PM

Message Edited by scarfman on 09-18-2007 12:15 PM

1 Message

February 14th, 2008 17:00

Has anyone else found a resolution to this issue.  I have an identical situation with a D820.  Thanks to this one query I solved the non-shutdown issue by switching to a VGA connection. 

Previously, the inactive laptop would boot up immediately when installed to the dock, just as soon as the DVI-connected monitor was powered on. And, of course the machine kept re-booting itself as long as the monitor (with DVI) was ON.

However, It would be nice for the user to have access to the digital option they've paid for.

Updating to A07 BIOS did not fix the problem.

Thanks much

69 Posts

May 30th, 2008 19:00

Sorry, I know this is an old POST, but I figured I'd better post what we found.

The problem is a faulty motherboard batch from Dell.  If you contact Dell with this problem, have them send motherboard with the specific Part# PU695 (for the 256 video) or Part# PU694 (for the 128 video).  Regular part #'s will not work.  DELL has specific part #'s for MoBo's that are having these issues.

I've had my D820's board replaced & the problem stopped.

Hope this helps.

No Events found!