Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

October 10th, 2008 23:00

studio 1535 will not resume

I got a new studio 1535 just last week and it will occasionally get stuck when resuming.

All I get is a blank screen, the power light is solid on and the CD eject button stays on.  This happens when the laptop is plugged into AC and when it is on battery power.  I let it sit for about 10 mins before giving up and forcing it to power down to get it to come back alive.

I just installed on the latest drivers last night and this happened again tonight.

Has anyone else seen this?  Is there a fix?  Is the laptop defective?

984 Posts

October 10th, 2008 23:00

You should immediately advise Dell of this problem.

4 Posts

October 11th, 2008 16:00

I've tried to talk with DELL but they tell me it is because I've got 4GB of RAM in the laptop.

The OS doesn't even see more the 3.5 GB of RAM.  Can anyone give me some explaination as to how this can even be related to suspend?  Are they telling me that the OS is mapping hardware and memory wrong?  Should I just move to linux to fix this?

984 Posts

October 11th, 2008 17:00

@yogotie wrote:

I've tried to talk with DELL but they tell me it is because I've got 4GB of RAM in the laptop.

I assume that the memory modules are those fitted by Dell and that two 2GB modules are fitted. Ask Dell whether they are saying that Dell supplied you with an unworkable combination of hardware and software.

3 Posts

October 13th, 2008 19:00

I'm having this same exact problems with a Studio 1535 as well.

4GB Ram, 200GB drop sensor HD, Fully loaded with all options.

The hard drive's been replaced, Vista reinstalled, All current drivers..

I specifically turned off hybernate due to super long save/resume times (which also were periodically crashing upon resume).

I too am hoping that Dell didn't sell me an unworkable combination of hardware/software.

It's just irritating as heck to have to boot the system up twice.. and find out my previous suspended work was lost.

- Rob

984 Posts

October 13th, 2008 20:00

@Rob_FL wrote:

I'm having this same exact problems with a Studio 1535 as well.

4GB Ram, 200GB drop sensor HD, Fully loaded with all options.

The hard drive's been replaced, Vista reinstalled, All current drivers..

I specifically turned off hybernate due to super long save/resume times (which also were periodically crashing upon resume).

I too am hoping that Dell didn't sell me an unworkable combination of hardware/software.

It's just irritating as heck to have to boot the system up twice.. and find out my previous suspended work was lost.

- Rob

Have you tried running with only 2GB of RAM to see whether it is more stable?

4 Posts

October 14th, 2008 00:00

I also have 4GB of RAM and 200GB HDD with the drop sensor.

The problem is too intermittent for it to be the memory size.  If that was the case this issue would happen every time the computer resumes.  For me it has not been terribly predictable when it will happen.

I'm beggining to suspect the drop sensor of the HDD beause this issue seems to occur when I take the computer to/from work but it doesn't seem to happen if I just leave it on the desk.  My guess is the sensor is stopping the HDD during resume and then it getting stuck in that state.  Could be Vista is not sending the correct resume commands to the HDD.

That seems to fit what I've been seeing so far.  But I really have a hard time beliving the 4GB thing since suspend is putting the memory into a power down state and not flushing it to the HDD.

984 Posts

October 14th, 2008 01:00

@yogotie wrote:

But I really have a hard time beliving the 4GB thing

Have you talked again to Dell regarding their advice that 4GB is too much RAM? You should stress that they sold it with 4GB. Therefore surely there must be another reason for the problem.

984 Posts

October 17th, 2008 11:00

Now you need to convince Dell of your diagnosis.

4 Posts

October 17th, 2008 11:00

It is the drop sensor on the HDD.  I opened the lid and it would not resume then I closed the lid and tapped the bottom of laptop and it immediatly came back alive.

1 Message

January 7th, 2009 08:00

Hi, I'm exacly having the same problem,

configuration is: DELL STUDIO 1535 CORE 2 DUO T5850 2.1Ghz 3GB 160GB

Like the previous post says, If I leave laptop on the desk, no problem about standby it resumes properly, if I carry the laptop after standy, It can not resume, I had to power it off completely by pressing power button about 2~3 secs. This makes me think that the problem is about HDD drop sensor.

I'm running Vista Home Basic Edition with preinstalled drivers and updated from Dell support site (BIOS is also updated).

This is very serious problem and Dell doesn't seem to care about it upto now.

1 Message

March 23rd, 2009 14:00

I'm having the same problem, not pleased at all! Has anybody found a solution?

No Events found!