Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

50 Posts

December 19th, 2008 10:00

studio 1537 media panel problems

hi there. i am having some issues with my new studio 1537. this is my second studio. the first, a 1535 was replaced by the 1537. both studios have the same problems.

at 1535, the eject - light was on, the dvd-rw was trying to eject, without having a cd in for several times, until it came off and all media panel buttons working correct. some times, the eject -key remained on and no other key worked, or the mute key was on and the pc didn't start windows at all. motherboard and media panel was replaced, but the problem insisted. that' s why dell hellas delivered me a new 1537.

unfortunately, the same problem appeared in it. a technisian came in my place and found out that tha media panel cable wan not properly installed on motherboard. that seemed to be the problem, until next day, when the eject - light appeared again. i reinstalled vista, upgrading to ultimate and solved the problem for about 15 days, when suddenly after "waking up" from sleep mode, the eject - key light on again...

i believe that must be a software problem with media panel or a hardware motherboard problem.... i'm waitin for media panel driver or firmware fix.

any suggestions?

ps: an excuse for my english.

acgiannopo from greece

5 Posts

October 21st, 2009 15:00

Hey Bill,

Any movement on this yet? Has Dell identified or aknowledged a problem with the 1340 media panel? You mentioned a replacement media panel. Is that an option? Is that a fix?

It's happening more frequently, after a full shut down and restart as well, so sleep or hibernate don't seem to be a factor. Removing/replacing the battery gets the frozen media panel working again, but it happens again the next day.

I haven't submitted a support ticket yet.

-Steve

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 21st, 2009 15:00

Hey, Steve.

We have not seen an abnormal dispatch rate for the media panel on 1340, so I can only guess you have a defective part. I can overnight you a replacement. If it's no fix, you can get back with me in PM, and we'll take it up from there.

Can you PM me your service tag and current ship-to address, please?

5 Posts

October 21st, 2009 18:00

Thanks Bill,

Sorry though, I don't know what you mean by PM...

October 21st, 2009 19:00

Click on DELL-Bill B's name and click on "Send a message".

15 Posts

October 21st, 2009 20:00

He is talking about the afternoon -post meridian !Duh.

October 21st, 2009 20:00

No he means private message.

15 Posts

October 22nd, 2009 09:00

Yes, probably right .

3 Posts

March 10th, 2010 14:00

Unfortunately, I can assure you that Dell is not looking into this, to the best of my knowledge, and has not found a fix.  I have had the hinge cover and optical drive replaced twice now, and will soon have a third round of replacements.  Yet the problem persists.  You are correct that it is a minor issue but very annoying--especially since it looks as if all of us with this problem experienced it directly out of the box.  Very disappointing.

3 Posts

March 10th, 2010 14:00

I received these instructions the third time I reported this problem as unresolved and following these instructions disabled the eject button completely, so now it does not work at all....

March 10th, 2010 17:00

I used to have the eject problem but after flashing the new firmware I have not had a problem since and I flashed the new firmware at least 6 months ago . Did you remove the AC adaptor and battery pack after you applied the fix and hold the power button down for 30 seconds? Because that step is very important.

2 Posts

January 9th, 2011 19:00

I've been having ths media panel prob with the XPS 1340 as well. What is the fix?

January 10th, 2011 05:00

Click or copy/paste this to download the new dell firmware for the "control panel thingy": http://csmicfool.com/files/FW7_X0D.ISO

Instructions (provided by dell support and tested):

Problem:

Media Control Buttons Disfunction on Dell Studio 1535/1536/1537

Description:

Media control buttons on Dell Studio 1535/1536/1537 systems may report intermittent disfunction issues.

The typical failures may include:
1. Media control buttons automatically light on.
2. Optical disk automatically ejected.
3. Some media control buttons have no response.

Solution:

Update firmware for system hinge cover.

Create a bootable CD:

NOTE: Please make sure you have CD imaging software installed in your system, which can create a bootable CD based on ISO image format.

1. Download the firmware installation file FM7_X0D.ISO, and save it in your system.
2. Run the CD imaging software to create a bootable CD based on this FM7_X0D.ISO file.

Take Roxio Creator as an example for the procedure.

1. Insert a blank writable CD in your system.
2. Open Roxio Creator.
3. Click File menu.
4. Go to New Project / Copy / Burn Disc Image to Disc.
5. Click Browse.
6. Add this FM7_X0D.ISO file from the location you saved.
7. Click button to continue, till complete the CD creation.

Flash firmware:

NOTE: Please make sure A/C power is being used while updating the firmware.

1. Insert this CD in your system.
2. Reboot the system, and enter one-time boot menu by pressing F12.
3. Boot from the CD drive.
4. The CD will autorun and update the firmware.
5. Once completed, screen will show pass and Flash Successful.
6. Shut down the system.
7. Remove A/C power cable and battery for and hold down the power button for 30 seconds.
8. Replug in A/C power cable and battery to continue normal operation.

NOTE: Please make sure to remove A/C power and battery once firmware update completed.

2 Posts

January 15th, 2011 12:00

I booted with the CD, and a bunch of text flashed the screen too fast to read, then I saw a "Flash Update Utility" or something like that on the screen for about 20 minutes, with no "pass and Flash successful" confirmation message. How can I confirm that the new firmware was installed? What version number should I be looking for? 

Thanks,

George

2 Posts

February 9th, 2011 18:00

OK. I just got this to work.

I had to insert the disc and unplug, remove battery, hold down power button for 30 seconds FIRST because it wouldn't run the CD automatically. Then when I powered on it booted from the disc. It took a few minutes to get through all sorts of Flash Update Utility stuff until it finally displayed lots of passes and a Flash successful. After that I had to unplug/remove battery/hold power button again. Then on restarting, the media panel worked properly for the first time ever. Unbelievable.

Hope that helps.

2 Posts

February 9th, 2011 18:00

I wish I had seen this earlier. I have had problems with my media panel for over a year.

I tried to download and burn the fix (http://csmicfool.com/files/FW7_X0D.ISO), however, it seems it is an empty file. It takes up 1.8 MB on a disc, but there is nothing there. I followed the instructions for installing the firmware. When I choose to boot up with the CD nothing happens, as if there is nothing on the CD. Dell, please respond!

No Events found!