February 13th, 2010 17:00

studio 1749 fan noise/temperature problems

Hey guys,

I've recently received my dell studio 1749 laptop with the following specs,

- i5 CPU 520m

- 4 gigs of RAM

- Intel HD graphics

- 320 gig HD

The problem with this laptop is that the fan will start to whine every few minutes seemly without reason.

I've done some investigation and found out the following:

- there seems be a threshold of 35 to 36 degrees celsius. Once the CPU hits that temperature, the fan will start to cool it down to under 30 degrees

- the idle temperature of the CPU is always creeping up, even without load.  If I leave the computer alone at idle with almost no CPU activity, the temperature will creep up to the threshold...thus triggering fan.

the cycle repeats itself every few minutes.

I've attached a picture to illustrate the problem.

I've attached a picture to illustrate the problem.

Since this is my first laptop, I want to ask does the CPU temperature stay constant during idle? or does it creep up like mine?

Can the threshold be modified?

Is this normal with the dell studio?

With the fan whining every few minutes, it can get very annoying.

If anyone has this problem/has a fix, please let me know.

Thanks

<ADMIN NOTE:Email ID removed per privacy policy>

26 Posts

April 15th, 2010 09:00

What about all of us asking for a refund at the same time ? Wouldn't it make the sales support teams talk about this issue ?

I also would like to know how difficult it is to patch this problem.

5 Posts

April 15th, 2010 16:00

I must agree, I tried to get use to it, but in quiet places the volume is to high when the fan spins, and the cycle is also too short.

I'd be really pleased to see that Dell care about it's customers and do something about this issue.

3 Posts

April 16th, 2010 02:00

Hi guys,

I've got the same fan problem with my new Studio 1749 (i7 620M) purchased one month ago.
The first three times I called Dell support, they asked me to run some diagnostic tests (RAM, fans, temperatures...), then to update the BIOS to the last version (A03) and also to reinstall the OS (I did it twice). Nothing was useful: the fan continues to rotate every few minutes without reason and at a certain point it starts to rotate and it doesn't stop until I reboot the system. Besides the fan rotate even if the temperatures are very strangely low (see the picture below).

Someone told me that the fan acts like it should but I don't think so: the fan behavior is too strange.
Finally, I got an on-site technical support to replace the CPU and video card heatsinks, but even this was useless.
I call Dell back and they told me they would have replace the mobo. But when I had a look at the Support History & Status on Dell site, I saw that the replacement was rejected. The day after they called me back and told me they had to do some more hardware/software tests before proceeding. Obviously the problem was still there. ... Another scheduled replacement and some minutes ago another rejection.
What I supposed to do now?!?!

Bye from Italy

April 16th, 2010 05:00

Clearly there is 2 issues here:

- the fan is acting mad when temperatures are low to moderate.

- there is a bug that prevents the fan to stop spinning when it is at moderate speed. It appears only a reboot, or forcing high spinning speed by stressing the CPU followed by idle state can fix this.

From what users could gather there appears to be no hardware problem, no intervention by a tech will fix this. This is BIOS related, thermal tables and fan speed need to be tweaked by Dell's engineers.

And the bug where the fan gets stuck is just soooooooo annoying, i think it is even more annoying than the ON/OFF behaviour since it requires a user action to get rid of it.

Please Dell do something!

10 Posts

April 16th, 2010 06:00

Yeah I noticed it too. Sometimes when my system is idle the fan starts to spin at moderate speed and never stops!!! I have to restart to force the fan to stop.

Also still the fan turns on and off all the time. I'm getting mad.

I called technical support and they let me run some tests. I have to call them back to give them the results. Ofcourse the system test couldn't find any mistake. I think it's gonna be a long walk to convince them it's more a bios problem. *SIGH*

April 16th, 2010 18:00

I found something really strange tonight :D

Maybe some of you know that the fan can get "stuck" at high speed for no apparent reason, which is a bug.

There are 2 ways to deal with this:

- reboot
- stress the cpu to raise the temperatures and "unstuck" the fan

Tonight i stressed the CPU with Prime95 to get rid of the bug, well guess what... when the fan debugs itself, it spins more slowly than when bugged! (remember that the temps are increasing here, so the fan should spin quicker!).

If proof was needed, well here it is :p

10 Posts

April 17th, 2010 03:00

Edit: I spoke another tech guy and he agreed with me it had to be a bios issue. He was willing to write a complain into their escalating system to solve this issue. So don't hessitate and call them! The more people complain, the more impression it'll make, the more quick we get our bug-fix.

67 Posts

April 17th, 2010 17:00

Well good luck guys with this issue and Dell Online support. Since weeks they are quiet here. Studio 1747 has absolutely the same crazy fan issues, I´d told them since months, 10 times or so. Once Todd told us, the Dell engineers will process the open issues list (which contains this stupid fan issue among other things), and oh yes a new Dell ATI video driver and so on, "we keep you informed", "you can take us at our word" blah, blah ...result: nothing more happened since this, and I guess of course, nothing more will happen.

1 Message

April 19th, 2010 10:00

Hello

I've got the same problems... My one year old Toshiba 17" Notebook is a lot more quiet than my new studio 1749 (idle, core i5 520m).

Dell please develop the bios a4 with an improved fan behaviour!:)

regards

10 Posts

April 19th, 2010 14:00

It's hard to understand why Dell's not willing to solve this issue.

The Studio 1745, 1747 and 1749 have the same fan controller problem. You can read a lot around in these forums.

I have/had a lot of Dell notebooks without this stupid fan behavior. So Dell knows how to do. Why for this Studio series it's so hard?

7 Posts

April 21st, 2010 17:00

Fantastic!

My new DELL 1749 is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

The old DELL discussion board had some real help.

What has happened?

April 22nd, 2010 04:00

Soooo.... i noticed someone opened a topic about a fan getting stuck on the M11x, NBR forums has one too.

Does this mean that a monkey escaped the zoo and managed to enter the same lines of codes in several laptop's BIOSes?

Come on guys! At least tell us that you are working on a fix for this, don't give us the silent treatment or we will have to yell.

3 Posts

April 23rd, 2010 08:00

Hi,

They've replaced both the heatsinks and the motherboard on my notebook. The problem is the same.
Like other people said, I think it's a fan controller issue and they should release a new version of the BIOS as soon as possible.
I wrote an email to urge them.

Bye

5 Posts

April 25th, 2010 00:00

Hi guys

Same problem for me also. I bought an Inspiron 1564 couple of days ago and fan has the same issues.

I think I will have to return it back to the shop because this problem lasts for a while now and I don't think Dell will come up with a solution.

I feel disapointed because I really love the model...

April 26th, 2010 07:00

Dell,

you need to address these problems ASAP

1) FAN comes on at high RPM, seemingly set intervals when the CPU temperature reaches the threshold of around 30 to 35 degrees.  This threshold needs to be increased and there needs to be controls/logic in place so the fan spins quietly at a constant low speed, not the constant ON/OFF behaviour that we are all experiencing today.   

2) FAN is sometimes "stuck" at high RPM.  Right now, the only way to stop this behaviour is to put the laptop into SLEEP mode or do a restart of the computer.

Seemingly, these issues affects the entire Studio 17 line and perhaps other Studio models.  this FAN issues needs to dealt with NOW. You cannot let such a wide spread problem continue to exist on your products.  I'm on my 2nd Studio 17...and 3 bio updates later, these problems are still there.

Please take a look and thanks.

No Events found!