Highlighted

Re: studio 1749 fan noise/temperature problems

Dell,

you need to address these problems ASAP

1) FAN comes on at high RPM, seemingly set intervals when the CPU temperature reaches the threshold of around 30 to 35 degrees.  This threshold needs to be increased and there needs to be controls/logic in place so the fan spins quietly at a constant low speed, not the constant ON/OFF behaviour that we are all experiencing today.   

2) FAN is sometimes "stuck" at high RPM.  Right now, the only way to stop this behaviour is to put the laptop into SLEEP mode or do a restart of the computer.

Seemingly, these issues affects the entire Studio 17 line and perhaps other Studio models.  this FAN issues needs to dealt with NOW. You cannot let such a wide spread problem continue to exist on your products.  I'm on my 2nd Studio 17...and 3 bio updates later, these problems are still there.

Please take a look and thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
ernstig01
6 Indium

I got reactions it affects also the Inspiron 1564. They have similar issues like the Studio 1745 1747 1749.

Common Dell I know you can do better.

0 Kudos
brinan
1 Nickel

More confirmation.

On/off whirling with my Inspiron 1564 (Intel Core i3-330M version). Delivered 23 Feb 2010.

At idle, fan about 60 seconds on, 30 seconds off.

If we keep complaining, and publicising, perhaps Dell will act, or at least admit there's an issue.

0 Kudos
crazyincolo
1 Copper

I have an Inspiron 1464 Intel Core i3-330M version, same issue with the fan noise. See post from other 1464 owners with the same issue.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19319992/19694489.aspx#19694489

The computer works great, but I have a hair dryer, I don't need my laptop to double as one.

Problem appears to be across the i-core line.

0 Kudos
phildediou
1 Nickel

Hi,

Same problem here (1749, i7 620M), the fan speed makes yo-yo (not working / high working), even on idle.

The minimum fan speed, when working, is very high and makes noise for nothing

This fan needs better speed management, it is not a laptop for industrial usage !

Edit : And frequently the fan stay blocked on high speed while Components are cold cold cold..

Every 1749 users who discuss into forums report theses problems.

0 Kudos
huu huu
1 Copper

Hey Guys,

same issue here...

Yesterday, Dell released a BIOS update A04. Can't see any improvement yet... hopefully the fan will not stuck futhermore.

Dell, Please pay more attention to this annoying bug!!

Thanks

0 Kudos
ernstig01
6 Indium

Now when I think about it, it looks like Dell does really lousy jobs what about fan controllers.

Not only the Studio line, but I also read a lot about Inspiron 15xx models that have the same fan issues.

And finally don't forget about the infamous XPS M1730. They killed this beast by a really stupid fan controller. It lets the nVidia SLI GPU's fry. Fans kick in at 2000rpm on and of. GPU temps change between 45 - 78 Celsius when system is idle. By this differences in temps the soldering of the components got bad and the GPU cards got broken. About half of the XPS M1730's are send back to Dell and replaced by Alienware M17x under warranty. I've still an XPS M1730 working with 2 years of warranty left.

Can you imagine: Dell killed its top gaming notebook by bad management!emoticon.TongueTied.title We asked Dell many times for a better fan controller to prevent our GPU's from dying without prevail.:emotion-9:

They prove themselves to be inefficient in this matter. I think this Studio 1749 was my last Dell notebook. Maybe I'll get an Alienware M17x within 2 years under warranty.:emotion-4:

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

No way !!

Now I understand why my father's M1730 had its GPU broken in two years... Sadly, the warranty expired before the computer broke down. So instead of paying 700€ to have the GPU replaced, he bought another laptop, but not a DELL.

I guess that is what I will eventually do. I am so disappointed by DELL management. They have the best buying power of all, but very poor management. It's all muscle and no brain. No way my next laptop is a DELL.

0 Kudos
ernstig01
6 Indium

Because the XPS M1730 was expensive, I took 4 years warranty. I'm happy I did. This way I let Dell deal with the problem if my GPU's die. Still I hope it'll never happen, cause I like this notebook much. It's just a ticking bomb. When my GPU's will go to the eternal hunting grounds nobody knows, but I'm positive it'll happen someday.

I really can't understand them. To replace these machines under warranty costs them a lot of money, but they don't do something about it to prevent it. Does it have something to do with prestige between the different departments inside of Dell? Yeah sure!! Better lo loose money then to admit they're doing a lousy job! Dell really sucks if this is the case.:emotion-12:

I wonder if Michael Dell knows what's going on in is organisation.:emotion-20:

I also took 4 years of warranty with the Studio 1749. Their fan management sucks, but their warranty is ok. As long you've warranty left, you don't need to worry.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Too bad I took only 1-year warranty. Guess I'd better start saving for my next laptop. LOL!

Dell is really doing a great job at sucking real hard.

0 Kudos