February 13th, 2010 17:00

studio 1749 fan noise/temperature problems

Hey guys,

I've recently received my dell studio 1749 laptop with the following specs,

- i5 CPU 520m

- 4 gigs of RAM

- Intel HD graphics

- 320 gig HD

The problem with this laptop is that the fan will start to whine every few minutes seemly without reason.

I've done some investigation and found out the following:

- there seems be a threshold of 35 to 36 degrees celsius. Once the CPU hits that temperature, the fan will start to cool it down to under 30 degrees

- the idle temperature of the CPU is always creeping up, even without load.  If I leave the computer alone at idle with almost no CPU activity, the temperature will creep up to the threshold...thus triggering fan.

the cycle repeats itself every few minutes.

I've attached a picture to illustrate the problem.

I've attached a picture to illustrate the problem.

Since this is my first laptop, I want to ask does the CPU temperature stay constant during idle? or does it creep up like mine?

Can the threshold be modified?

Is this normal with the dell studio?

With the fan whining every few minutes, it can get very annoying.

If anyone has this problem/has a fix, please let me know.

Thanks

<ADMIN NOTE:Email ID removed per privacy policy>

6 Posts

July 19th, 2010 01:00

After sending Dell more details of when the fan problem occurred and attaching screen grabs of the CPU graph from system monitor and a couple of audio files of the fan noise, they contacted me last week to say that they would like to collect my laptop so their technical team could have a look at it (I got the impression that they seemed to be struggling to replicate the problem their end).

They are sending me a replacement system and will collect the old one separately to allow me time to transfer stuff over.
As they no longer sell the particular type of i5 processor that I have in my current laptop, they upgraded me to one of the current range (faster processor speed so I hope that doesn't make the problem even worse).

According to their tracking page, the system has been shipped already but no delivery date is available yet.

Hopefully the problem will be resolved on the new system - Dell do seem to be taking the issue seriously though I can't quite understand why they can't seem to replicate the issue their end.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

July 20th, 2010 17:00

Engineering has approved an update that should help with this issue.  We should be launching it on our driver site very shortly.  I will post further info regarding the update once it has been released.

5 Posts

July 21st, 2010 09:00

got my 1749 yesterday and for the little amount of time I've used it I am happy with it. Very happy. I got the I5 540m, 4 gig ram, 500 gig HD, 1920X1080 screen, 5650 GPU, Spring Green Microsatin finish. The fan is so much quieter compared to my old Dell 9300. It spins up quickly on start up but then stops and i haven't noticed it, but I haven't given it any intense tasks yet so we will see.

14 Posts

July 21st, 2010 10:00

Other than the green microsatin finish, this is the same spec as my laptop . I wonder what has changed eh ?

ps

Dell have still to arrange a collection time for my laptop !!

28 Posts

July 21st, 2010 11:00

I have updated my Bios with the new version released yesterday and the fan sounds  quieter. After a while, the fan runs the same no improvement.

14 Posts

July 21st, 2010 12:00

Just flashed A05 Bios - no difference. I hope A05 is not the so called solution to this problem cos it don't work.

As I type this email the fan is cutting in and out.

ps after flashing the Bios, why do I get a flashing screen (all colours, pixellated) and a message to say that windows did not shut properly ?

26 Posts

July 21st, 2010 12:00

Hate to say it, but the BIOS update changed nothing to the fan problem for me. The fan keeps kicking in every 1 minute or so for a couple of seconds. Temperatures vary from 45 to 50°C (112-121°F) when computer is idle.

Pfff... Next time, I'll make sure the laptop I buy isn't too noisy/hot. If you want a silent laptop, don't buy a 1749.

6 Posts

July 23rd, 2010 03:00

Hi Terry. Can you confirm what form the update will take. Is it in fact the BIOS update released 20.7.10 or should we be looking out for something else - and if so what is the timeframe.

Thanks

5 Posts

July 26th, 2010 04:00

Gave my new 1749 the run through over the weekend. New Battlefield Bad Company 2 game and also some video editing & video conversion. Laptop brilliant. Fan noise minimal even during video conversion when the fans were running flat out. No fan issue for me as mentioned in this forum.

3 Posts

July 26th, 2010 12:00

Hey,

Is this fan noise something that could potentially affect the integrity of the computer or is it just an annoyance?

5 Posts

July 27th, 2010 02:00

No fan issue for me, My old dell 9300 was much louder. Of course you can hear the fans when they are running full speed but it's no way intrusive or annoying. General laptop use (surfing the net...) i didn't hear the fans at all, just when doing complex tasks (video conversion) that they fired up.

3 Posts

July 27th, 2010 08:00

I should be getting my new laptop today, so I can test it out. My old laptop was really loud, even when it was idle and it got very hot. Sounds like you're pleased with yours, so that's good to hear.

2 Posts

July 27th, 2010 11:00

I'm also waiting for the "fan fix" for 1749 and is it possible to see the changelog for the A05 BIOS?

1 Message

July 28th, 2010 01:00

hi,

so does your fan not kick in full blast every 2 minutes like others are saying?

6 Posts

July 28th, 2010 06:00

i bought my dell and then came across this thread. At the time I  thought that the problem was an isolated incident and i was lucky enough not to be affected. Unfortunately the noise of the fan increases over time and becomes the most noticeable more or less after the 30 day return has expired. Go figure!

Also note that this thread has been going on for a number of months now with no reply from Dell until very recently mentioning that  ' Engineering has approved an update that should help with this issue.  We should be launching it on our driver site very shortly.  I will post further info regarding the update once it has been released'.

So Dell have in fact admitted that they are aware of this issue.Unfortunately that was a week ago and still no updates from Dell.

Would you buy a laptop with a known " issue" ?

No Events found!