Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

P

January 12th, 2004 17:00

usb power problem

Hey, I bought myself a creative labs mp3+ to use on my inspiron 8500. It's supposed to be powered from the usb port, it only requires 500ma which is what the usb ports supply according to the device property info of the usb port, yet it doesn't work! It works on every other single laptop and computer I've tried it on but not on the 8500... any ideas what's going on? It should have enough power going to it. I noticed a long list of problems and fixes for usb devices on the 8500, is there a big problem with the usb ports? Can I find a solution to my problem?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks...

Adam

14.4K Posts

January 12th, 2004 17:00

I seem to recall that the 8500 can't supply the full 500mA per usb port so you'll have to try using an externally powered usb hub!

25 Posts

January 13th, 2004 08:00

Oh snap

14.4K Posts

January 17th, 2004 18:00

@pillowyoureyes wrote:

*bump*

anyone? please... im desperate... are dell supposed to answer these forums?

can we assume you've tried the externally powered hub without resolution of the problem?

January 17th, 2004 18:00

*bump*

anyone? please... im desperate... are dell supposed to answer these forums?

51 Posts

January 17th, 2004 19:00

There's been a few threads on this problem.  In the end, Dell provides slightly powered USB ports so that battery drain doesn't lessen.  I can imagine a raft of angry posts about how short battery life is because the USB ports are hogging too much juice. 

If you're hauling around an external sound card, is really that hard to throw a little powered USB hub in the case too?

Tim

January 17th, 2004 19:00

An externally powered hub works just fine, but that doesn't help me because im not about to carry a hub around with me just to power this one usb device... plus it defeats the whole point of what it is, it *should* work from the usb power but the inspiron 8500 (and as far as I can tell only the inspiron 8500) doesn't have enough power for some reason... if there's no way around it I feel like I've been ripped off by dell who haven't abided by standards that everyone else has =( and for what reason? =\

January 17th, 2004 21:00

So what you're saying is my usb ports are practically redundant because they don't do what they're supposed to do and what every other laptop appears to do perfectly well? I'd sacrifice battery life for working usb ports any day, is there even an argument? Surely the power only gets drained when they're actually being used as well? If that's dells explanation then I don't understand their logic at all. Less battery life when using a usb port is better than completely useless usb ports, as a result I always need to find a power socket and carry extra equipment opposed to just the creative mp3+, which is tiny! I may as well buy a desktop for a third of the price! Last time I ever go for a dell. If this topic has come up before could dell please put it in the FAQ? This is a major design fault from my point of view and I would never have bought this laptop if I knew about it to start with, I'm certain it's a violation of the Sale of Goods Act come to think of it? Selling something that doesn't do what it's advertised to do.

One very unhappy ex-dell customer =(

260 Posts

January 17th, 2004 23:00

usually, laptops have "weak" usb ports. this means that they can't really power devices that need them. but if the device doesnt need that much power, like keyboards or mice, the port can power them up.

34 Posts

January 18th, 2004 16:00

Hey pillowyoureyes:

Have you or any one else ever bothered to read the specs or look up the requirements for USB certication from USB.org?  Have you ever done any system design compliance testing for devices that use these interfaces?

In order for Dell to place the USB logo on any of their devices, it has to be certified to meet the requirements set forth in the USB X.X specifications that they are adopting for that device. So as a little reading assignemt goto the following link:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_periph&message.id=5209

Then do your homework before you make blanket statements about not meeting this spec or that.

6 Posts

August 6th, 2004 08:00

I get the same problem as you with my Inspiron 8600 with the creative MP3+ external soundcard, though it works on my friend's Inspiron 5150 without problem - how odd is that?? It works with a powered hub, but as you said that defeats the object, since its supposed to be portable. 

Has Dell given you any acknowledgement that its a problem ?

No Events found!