Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 29th, 2010 13:00

volctrl.exe crashes games

I have a Studio 1537 running Vista Home Premium that is giving me nightmares.

The touch sensitive media control panel icon for the volume control keeps popping up unanounced, shoves the volume up to 100%, destabilises the game or program I'm in and then minimises it to the taskbar. I've tried reinstalling the audio drivers - as suggested by Dell - several times, but no luck.

Any ideas? I would be eternally grateful if someone could sort this for me before I chuck the thing out the window!

April 6th, 2010 05:00

I was once having the same issues until I updated the media panels firmware, I have copied the instructions for flashing the firmware from another thread.

Plus follow all instructions carefully including where it says to remove your AC adaptor and battery.

Here is the link for the firmware

Update firmware for system hinge cover.

Create a bootable CD:

NOTE: Please make sure you have CD imaging software installed in your system, which can create a bootable CD based on ISO image format.

1. Download the firmware installation file FM7_X0D.ISO, and save it in your system.
2. Run the CD imaging software to create a bootable CD based on this FM7_X0D.ISO file.

Take Roxio Creator as an example for the procedure.

1. Insert a blank writable CD in your system.
2. Open Roxio Creator.
3. Click File menu.
4. Go to New Project / Copy / Burn Disc Image to Disc.
5. Click Browse.
6. Add this FM7_X0D.ISO file from the location you saved.
7. Click button to continue, till complete the CD creation.

Flash firmware:

NOTE: Please make sure A/C power is being used while updating the firmware.

1. Insert this CD in your system.
2. Reboot the system, and enter one-time boot menu by pressing F12.
3. Boot from the CD drive.
4. The CD will autorun and update the firmware.
5. Once completed, screen will show pass and Flash Successful.
6. Shut down the system.
7. Remove A/C power cable and battery and then hold down the power button for 30 seconds to drain any residual power left in the system.
8. Replug in A/C power cable and battery to continue normal operation.

NOTE: Please make sure to remove A/C power and battery once firmware update completed and then hold the power button down for atleast 30 seconds.

If the buttons not longer work then shut down the system, unplug the AC adaptor and remove the battery and hold down the power button for another 30 seconds.

No Events found!