Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 28th, 2011 15:00

vostro 3550 wireless turned off after win7 reinstall

I have reinstalled win7 on my vostro 3550, and now I have no wireless connectivity on WLAN.

Win7 diagnostics tells me to turn on wireless capacities, but when I start Wi7 mobility center, the wireless is displayed, but there's no option for turning on the wireless.

It's a Dell 1702 b/g/n A00 install file picked up from dell support pages.

The chipset driver for the HM67 chipset is also installed.

Everything worked until reinstall, so it's not a hardware error.

I suspect the win7 resource DVD to be the source of the error.

Anyone with the same problems or a solution to my problem?

14 Posts

July 1st, 2011 06:00

The magic word was "Fn F2". That function disables / enables the radio on the WLAN card. So there's no way to turn radio on/off in the drivers selection of parameter, but only a hardware implementation on "Fn F2"

14 Posts

June 28th, 2011 22:00

Hi ieee488

I'm sure what the reply is about.

The link You posted is dead.

14 Posts

June 28th, 2011 22:00

Iee488

Lets try again, this time without typos:

I'n NOT sure what the reply is about

The link is dead

14 Posts

June 29th, 2011 02:00

I've tried the following installation order

MS Win7 64 Reinstallation

Dell system software

Intel Chipset

Intel Management Interface

Realteck Cardreader

Intel Rapid Storage

IDT Soundcard

Intel HD3000 Graphics

Realtek NIC

Dell Quick Set

Dell WLAN Adapter

Still no WLAN connections, and the WLAN is reported as being non present (inable to turn WIFI ON/OFF in Windows Mobility Center). "Turn Wireless on" button is greyed out.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 29th, 2011 03:00

NilsB,

When you installed Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit) did you install the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers first? If not the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order If you cannot find Windows 7 drivers, then try using the Vista (or XP) 32-bit drivers, for Windows 7 32-bit of the Vista (or XP) 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit and install the drivers in the Compatibility mode

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

Rick

14 Posts

June 29th, 2011 03:00

Hello PudgyOne

All drivers have been installed in the order described in the "How to install in correct order " document.

All drivers , except the Dell Utility installed just after the Win7 reinstallation, are installed from the DVD containing all drivers and utilities. The Dell Utility installed as first item after WIn7, was taken from Dell support pages to ensure most resent version of this important Utility.

All drivers are present The WLAN driver just fails to interact with the WLAN card in a proper manner, thus removing the option of a WLAN.

I've stated the installation order in a previous posting.

14 Posts

June 29th, 2011 06:00

The recovery partition is not an option as I'm installing on a new disk.

As for the Win7 Backup disk, it shouldn't be required, because as the url state

support.dell.com/.../document

Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the box for Windows 7 Systems

But I do have the OS disk and resource disk (They were both in the box)  and because of that have no requirement for the backup disks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 29th, 2011 06:00

NilsB,

Did you try the Recovery partition?Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

Did you make the Windows 7 - IMPORTANT Windows 7 Backup Disks to create?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 29th, 2011 09:00

NilsB,

If you used the operating system disk, you then insert the drivers disk and you have to manually install the notebook system utility and the chipset drivers. You then manually have to install the rest of the drivers.

The notebook system utility and the chipset drivers know what is attached to your system. Not installing these first will cause the rest of the drivers, like usb ports, webcam and wireless adapters to fail to install.

If you created the Dell DataSafe Diska, inserting Disk 1, then restarting the computer and following the instructions, will install everything.

Rick

14 Posts

June 29th, 2011 09:00

That's why I started with the installation of the notebook utility from Dell support .

After that came the chipset drivers

After that everything else

But I believe we're talking about two different items. I'm talking about using the dell software from resource disks delivered with th system, and You are talking about restoring from backup disks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 1st, 2011 19:00

NilsB,

Dell QuickSet control the functions of the wireless card. Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag, under applications.

Rick

1 Message

April 3rd, 2016 21:00

I can confirm this worked for me! Thanks.

No Events found!