Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 17th, 2013 09:00

weird webcam issue with dell inspiron 5520 and windows 7

Hi guys, I'm new to dell and hope someone can help me.

Just got a new  inspiron 5520 that came with ubuntu, i've installed win 7, got all the drivers from the dell site installed, works like charm - except one thing:

When i use skype i have no picture showing myself, instead a white little window. Going to skype camera setting I've got the same thing, only a blank whike image. What makes the situation even more weird is thar anybody I'm talking to cam see a image of my webcam.

I really don't know what to do, hope anybody has an idea.

3.1K Posts

March 17th, 2013 19:00

Hi Mza84,

Please check under 'Imaging Devices' in 'Device Manager' and see if the Integrated webcam gets detected. To check webcam in 'Device Manager':

• Click on “Start” and right click “Computer”.
  • Click on “Manage”.
  • Click on “Device Manager”.
  • Under “Imaging Devices”, you will find the 'Webcam' listed.
  • Right click and uninstall. 
  • Restart and see if it makes any difference.

If the Webcam is detected in Device Manager, I would suggest you to install Dell Webcam Central software and check if the camera is working. You may download and install Webcam software from the following link http://bit.ly/TjXOwa 

Please reply if you have any questions.

2 Posts

March 31st, 2013 12:00

Tnx mate, already tried, didn't work, even Dell Webcam Central did not show any problems with the integrated camera...but I have figured out that this issue could be related to DirectX.

After installing newest version of DirectX my webcam works like charm with skype.

Problem solved:)

Thanks for helping out Appu

3.1K Posts

April 2nd, 2013 06:00

Hi Mza84,

Glad that you fixed the issue. Direct X could have been a possible cause, though unlikely; you made a wise move.
Do reach out in case you need any further assistance.

May 11th, 2013 00:00

Hey,

I am facing the same problem. Can you please help me out? Kindly, send me the link through which you downloaded the latest version of DirectX.

Regards,

Bariah Ahmad

3.1K Posts

May 11th, 2013 07:00

Hi Bariah Ahmad,

You can download and install DirectX Here. Please refer to the link on How to download and install DirectX Here.

Hope this helps.

May 11th, 2013 09:00

Hey,

I tried installing DirectX but the problem still persists. I have been trying to fix this problem for a week. But really it isn't helping. I guess my brother accidentally uninstalled any program and I am trying to figure it out.

Please help me out.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Regards

3.1K Posts

May 14th, 2013 09:00

Hi Bariah Ahmad,

If the webcam is detected by the computer, it will show in Device Manager under 'Imaging Devices'. To check the webcam in 'Device Manager':

Click on “Start” and right click on “Computer” -> Click on “Manage” -> Click on “Device Manager” -> Under “Imaging Devices”, you will find the 'Webcam' listed, If the webcam is listed -> Right click and uninstall -> Restart and see if it makes any difference.

If issue persists, you may uninstall the USB root hubs from Device Manager and check if it makes any difference.

Expand ‘Universal Serial Bus controllers’ -> From the list, look for ‘USB Root Hub’ -> Right click, choose ‘Uninstall’, choose ‘Ok’ -> Uninstall all ‘USB Root Hub’ listed -> Wait for all the drivers to get uninstalled -> Restarted the computer -> Restarting the computer will install ‘USB Root Hub’s automatically on the computer.

If there is an issue with loose webcam cable, you may press the area near webcam and see if it makes any difference. 

You may also try to re-install Webcam Central software and check the functionality from Here.

Please reply with the findings.

September 18th, 2014 04:00

Hi all,

I have an issue regarding my webcam.

My system is inspiron N 5520. When I open my camera it shows "Camera Not Found". Please tell me what to do. There is not any imaging device option in my device manager. I have also installed dell webcam central software but it doesn't work. Help me guys.

September 18th, 2014 04:00

Hi all,

I have an issue regarding my webcam.

My system is inspiron N 5520. When I open my camera it shows "Camera Not Found". Please tell me what to do. There is not any imaging device option in my device manager. Help me guys.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 21st, 2014 12:00

himanshujain,

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the Dell System Software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Windows 7/8 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers for most Dell computers. If you system needs webcam drivers, go to Drivers and Downloads enter your service tag, then select your operating system. If your system needs webcam drivers, they'll be listed under Input.

(Windows 8)How to make the webcam work with help from this youtube. You have to open the Camera app first, and then click Settings on the charm bar to see where you can give the app permission to use the webcam.

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

You can try this file, also known as Dell Webcam Central.

Create a new unrestricted user account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If yes, log out and log back in to your account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If no, then the webcam became detached from the motherboard, usually near the webcam

Rick

No Events found!