Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

G

27 Posts

April 14th, 2007 11:00

will not start up

Dell laptop 9400/1705.  My laptop, 13 months old will not start up. The operating system will not load. We had a storm last night, but I unplugged it and also have a surge protector. I am on another 1705 that works fine so it was not a power problem.
When I turn the power on, I get a gray screen with a cursor, nothing will type at the cursor. Everything is plugged in, I have power, but xp2 will not start up.
I removed and replaced the battery, still nothing.
I used the computer last night without problems. I use AVG and sygate and windows firewall so no viruses.
Any ideas
???????

27 Posts

April 14th, 2007 12:00

The laptop shows the power light but the screen is blank. I unplugged the wireless mouse from the USB, removed the power cord and battery, replaced all and same thing, powers up, bu operating system will not load, just a blank black screen.

27 Posts

April 14th, 2007 16:00

I spend hours on the phone with Dell, Problem sort of resolved. Unplugged everything, removed hard drive, cd drive Wlan, processor, both 512 ram cards. It now boots up and works fine. But another problem now exists.
After disconnecting the black and white antennae wires from the Wlan, they will not plug in again. I am not sure if the Wlan is the problem or the silver connectors on the ends of the wires are tweaked.
Any suggestions. Seems like I fixed the problem with Dell support but now have created another with the antennae wires unable to reconnect.
The ends look fine they just will not stay attached where they plug in on the Wlan.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 14th, 2007 16:00

You almost certainly have a faulty mainboard - the cost to have one replaced will be in the neighborhood of $500, which isn't worth putting into an older budget notebook.

27 Posts

April 15th, 2007 01:00

It turns out after hours on the phone with Dell, that aparently the antanea wires are not to be removed from the WLAN. When they are removed they popped out the insert inside the WLAN holes. Also aparently the antanae wires are connected to the motherboard on the opposite end of the wires. After the initial support screw up and having me remove the WLAN antenea wires and ruining the WLAN and not being able to reconnect them, Dell conceded to have me return my computer to be repaired at no charge, I still have to pay the $42 for the initial phone support and now wait for it to be repaired all because the support person on the other side of the world had no idea what she was doing. So I guess I got hosed, pay and wait to have it repaired due to their error.
This is my 9th Dell since 1996, and my last.
No Events found!