Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2012 22:00

windows 8 on xps 15 l502x

so i just installed windows 8 on my l502x and everything is woking fine, except some minor trackpad issues. I decided to go with a clean install so that i can dual boot windows 7 and 8 and that way if there are compatibility issues I have win7 as a fall back, and therefore my drivers did not carry over. I used the download manager on the dell website. I chose the l502x and in the dropdown menu chose windows 8. the drivers for this were incomplete/not right for my computer. there was no touchpad driver and a couple of other things, so i chose win7 on the dropdown menu and used those drivers. the touchpad driver was out of date, and so i downloaded the most recent driver from synaptics instead and installed that (http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers ) now i am having 2 issues:

- edge swypes only works on the right side. I can get the charm bar up easily, but have never gotten the left or top swypes to work

- the button to turn off the trackpad doesn't work. the orange light on the trackpad lights up, but the mouse still moves around. 

also on a note unrelated to the trackpad, 2 of the touch buttons to the right of the power button now longer work. the settings button brings up a menu in the bottom left of the screen, but the other 2 only light up for a second and then nothing happens.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

November 26th, 2012 04:00

Hi midnightsnacker,

Based on your post that some of the swipe function is not working using the touchpad, to fix this you can update the BIOS, Chipset and touchpad drivers.  Please use the link below to download the BIOS and chipset drivers.

Link for BIOS: http://dell.to/VNIYG4

Please connect the Ac Adapter while updating the BIOS and do not use the system once the update is initiated and until the system restarts completely.

Link for Chipset driver: http://dell.to/TM8bzi

You can uninstall the touchpad driver from device manager, please follow the steps below.

Start > in search box type device manager > under the mice and other pointing devices > select the Dell touchpad> right click on it and uninstall and check the box (delete the software for this device).once you do the above steps the touchpad drivers will be completely uninstalled. Please use the link to download the touchpad driver.

http://dell.to/Rrw09Y

After updating all the above drivers and still the problem persists, I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag so I may check the region/country from where the system was purchased and assist you accordingly. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

11 Posts

November 29th, 2012 01:00

windows 7 synaptics driver is compatible for windows 8.im using windows 8 now. no problem with touchpad

15 Posts

September 13th, 2013 22:00

Hello. can you help me. During the windows 8 clean install it asks for drivers. It will not let me continue without them and I do not know what drivers it is wanting.

Thank you

11 Posts

September 13th, 2013 22:00

no its not asking any driver during installation.my laptop running windows 8 perfectly. I think this is a problem with your windows 8 DVD. Try another DVD and try again.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

September 14th, 2013 04:00

Hi birddseedd,

Windows 8 installation should not asked for drivers. Which option you are selecting while trying to install Windows 8?

Please refer to these link for step by step guide on installing Windows 8 on your computer.

Perform a Clean Installation of Windows 8 
Windows 8 clean installation 

Let me know if you face any issues.

15 Posts

September 14th, 2013 08:00

Happens right after you click install. there are no options

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

September 17th, 2013 01:00

Hi birddseedd,

I can see that DELL-Saharsh K is assisting you on THIS thread. Would request you to continue troubleshooting with him and provide all the necessary information.

This thread is locked.

If you need assistance, please create a new thread in the proper Dell Support Forum

Thank you

No Events found!