Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

June 16th, 2009 10:00

windows vista ultimate messed up everything

ok, i just bought a new dell 1545 inspiron and it already had vista business and everything worked great, i loaded ultimate and when i did, it seems like everythings been going downhill from then. my touchpad scroll bar dousnt work anymore, its like the computer dousnt even recognize i have one. also, i had some sort of quick access bar at the top of the computer, it had a bunch of things that kindof dangled there (music, games, internet shortcut, computer shortcut, etc) its gone and its like it never existed.  now for some reason my game simcity 4 dousnt work at all, the disk just isnt recognized by the computer,

also, on my windows experience index thing, i have a rationg of 1.0 it says this is from the graphics, and ive had graphics resolution error msgs every time i play  a game, its a brand new computer and all my other topics got ratings of 4 but my graphics are getting 1.0  is this right????????

somebody please help, im open to any sugggestins

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 16th, 2009 12:00

When you installed the new OS, did you install all the drivers, starting with the Dell notebook system software and chipset driver?

June 16th, 2009 22:00

uh...no, i dont think, not exactly sure what ur talkin bout though.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 17th, 2009 16:00

Need to do a clean install of vista and then install the vista drivers in the correct order from the dell driver and downloads page:

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=&SystemID=INSPIRON1545

1. Install the service packs

Vista Service Pack 1 (if not on the vista disc):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=F559842A-9C9B-4579-B64A-09146A0BA746&displaylang=en

Vista Service Pack 2:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a4dd31d5-f907-4406-9012-a5c3199ea2b3&displaylang=en

2. Dell Notebook software under system utilities

3. Both the chipset drivers

4. The Video Driver (Enter service tag onto driver and download page for more info Not on the forum)

5. Network Drivers (Enter service tag onto driver and download page for more info Not on the forum)

6. Audio (Only IDT one)

7. Input Device Drivers

8. Dell Quickset under applications

9. Might need SATA Drives

Would not install any other drivers and stay clear of cd/dvd firmware and BIOS.

Download the following from another computer and copy to a USB / external harddrive and copy over to your laptop once a clean install of vista has been done.

Clean install insert vista disc and power down press F12 at the Dell BIOS screen and then boot from cd/dvd. Then follow the instructions for the install and make sure you do a clean one over your largest partition. Choosing to format the drive at drive options will delete all your data, if you choose not too it will all be in windows.old folder on your C: drive, copy what you need from there (documents music photos) and then delete it as is very big.

14.4K Posts

June 17th, 2009 16:00

Go  HERE for the steps to reload the drivers in the correct order.

June 17th, 2009 20:00

do u think i could like, completly format my computer, just erase everything and start over? maybe clean some stuff up? and then do all those steps?  just wonderin

14.4K Posts

June 18th, 2009 06:00

Yes you can. It might be a good idea if you have not done anything with it since the last reinstall. The only thing you will lose is your time.

No Events found!