Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 2nd, 2012 14:00

xps l511 z video card Intel or Nvidia

gretings, i have my new dell laptop. \and you will laught but i didnt know whats video card is inside.

if i make dxdiag the sistem said it is a intell card, but on the tech supper say is a nvidia gforce 1 gb ram

so i am very confuse about whats video card is inside and how i know if it is working good conig runing 

could you help me?

thanks

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

December 2nd, 2012 15:00

Hi deeperxps,

XPS 511Z is shipped with two graphics card that is integrated Intel Graphics card and NVidia GeForce video card which is discrete.

You can check that for yourself in the ‘Device Manager. To go to Device manager click on ‘Start’ and in the Search box type ‘Device manager’. Click on ‘Device Manager’ folder.  In the ‘Device Manager’ screen click on the triangle to the left of ‘Display adapters’.  You will notice that both NVidia and Intel graphics card is listed. 

Revert for further queries.

12 Posts

December 2nd, 2012 15:00

many thanks for your reply.

and thank you very much for your quick response.

Now comes a question thus: As I see that both cards are properly configured and further, how I can know when activated either?

i am now, making the drivers upgrades by Dell Download Manager

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2012 14:00

Hi deeperxps,

I suggest that you enable the NVidia Discrete video card to work with your program. 

To do that please right click the mouse on the ‘Desktop’ and you will see a window pop up.  Left click and select ‘NVidia control panel’.   

Step 1 - Click on the line that says Manage 3D Setting, like shown in the picture below.

When you click on Manage 3D Settings, the right side of the control panel will look similar to what is shown above.

Click on the Global Settings tab if it is not already selected.

Step 2 -  "Preferred graphics processor", change this to read "High Performance NVIDIA Processor" like shown below.  Then Apply your settings. This will set ALL of your programs to use the NVIDIA GPU all the time.

NOTE:  This procedure will consume more battery power since all programs will now use the NVidia GPU. 

No Events found!