Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 29th, 2015 03:00

xps15 keeps going to sleep mode or shutting down on its own

Hi,

My XPS 15 laptop which is about 4 years old, has begun unexpectedly shutting down or going into sleep mode after different lengths of time sometimes within seconds of restarting or powering back up from the sleep mode. 

The monitor goes dark and the power button flashes or the system simply shuts down. The power button restarts the system after several presses. However, the system repeats the problem making it impossible to use the computer without it either going into sleep or shut down mode again.

I have taken the following actions without any effect on the problem..

1. I have the latest updates for windows 7 installed.
  2. I have not added any new hardware that might have caused this.
  3. I have followed various online suggestions such as turning off usb driver in device manager
  4. The power settings have all been changed to 'NEVER' for shutdown or sleep within both battery and power options.
  5. I have replaced the battery (but not the powercord as the symptoms occur regardless of being operated on battery or power sources.
  6. THE PROBLEM ALSO OCCURS IN SAFE MODE (shuts down unexpectedly).
  7. The laptop does not appear to be overheating as it is only on for approx 30 secs to 5 minutes before shutting down or going into sleep mode again.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Aurora.

May 29th, 2015 11:00

Hello, 

When did the issue start?

If you can, please do a system restore and let us know how it goes. Also please update the video drivers.

You have tried all the steps that we could think of.

Regards

June 1st, 2015 01:00

Hi Hema,

Thanks for your assistance.

At this point, it has gotten worse, the laptop is not allowing me to power up (it is as if no power is being received even though the power cord is plugged in (not sure if this could be related to the symptoms or if I need to now replace the power cord).

I did update a video driver from device manager recently as one of my steps, but maybe there is another video driver?

The system restore could not be completed to a previous time (system restore failed to restore).

The power button has during this issue been erratic (sometimes it worked and sometimes nothing happened after pressing), to power it I had to sometimes resort to repeated pressing of the power button to get it back on.

Its like it has a mind of its own, no consistent pattern from which to accurately determine the issue, except that it shuts down or goes into sleep mode on its own usually within one minute of starting (although I have had some longer sessions but once it starts switching off, it becomes more frequent ie within 1 minute of starting.

Could this be a power issue? Should I also replace the power cord despite the fact that it does not suddenly lose power, rather it performs a shutdown or sleep mode?

Thanks again for any help.

June 2nd, 2015 17:00

Hi,
Keeping in mind issue happens irrespective of machine running on adapter or on battery, we need not suspect the power cord here.

Usually on an expected shut down without thermal issues, it leads to motherboard as the culprit. Very rarely the Hard drive.
Would you be able to remove the HD and switch on the system and observe if it stays on for long.
Regards

June 6th, 2015 23:00

Hi,

Have you tried the steps as suggested?

Awaiting your reply.

Regards

No Events found!