Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2011 20:00

BIOS Supervisor password help - Dell Studio 1737

Hey guys...  I have a Dell Studio 1737 that I purchased from Dell Outlet a little over a year and a half ago.  I am about to sell it, and as part of my cleanup I noticed it has a BIOS password set (supervisor password) so that whenever I try and access the BIOS it prompts me for the password.  (not boot or HDD password).

I *believe* that this might be a gift from the previous owner (was advertised as refurbished through dell outlet).  I have never used BIOS passwords in the past on any of my other computers and I came up with a list of about 30 passwords I have ever used and none work, so I am pretty convinced I didn't set it.

Now, onto my question... From my research I have read that Dell BIOS passwords are actually stored in EEPROM.  I have already tried removing the motherboard coin battery for 24 hours and all that did was make the system clock off.  BIOS supervisor password was still there.  I tried a few free apps that I found (CMOSpwd, WinBios1.2, etc)... I think these programs don't have read access to EEPROM (or whatever the password data is stored on).  I also tried a bunch of the "default" backdoor passwords, none of which worked.

I also called Dell support and the person I spoke with kept asking me for some number I wasn't seeing on my screen (I think they said it should be a pound sign followed by 5 numbers)  They said it should be on the screen where I am prompted for the password.  My screen just shows me Dell, PhoenixBios, Password, Accecpt, Esc.  Once I fail the password prompt 3 times it says "System Disabled [03482]"  and shows the Dell Service Tag number.  I kept giving the support rep the 5 digit code in []'s but she said there should be a symbol as well.

So, my question is... should Dell Support be able to give me a master password for the Supervisor Bios password?  Has any one had success with this?  Are there any other applications that might work?

I am kind of at a loss, because unlike Dell, I will not feel honest to sell this machine to someone else knowing they can't access the BIOS.

Thanks for any help!

January 16th, 2011 15:00

It seems that dell keeps giving me the master unlock code for a boot password, and not the BIOS supervisor password.  I just spoke to a very nice guy at Dell who did provide a code, which didn't work (it wouldn't even accept the password when hitting ctrl-enter at this prompt).

Is there anyone that works for dell support that knows if maybe there is a second program they need to use to generate the master password for the Bios / Supervisor password? 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 26th, 2011 04:00

Once you have the master password, you can remove the supervisor password - just enter nothing in the field when you reset it.

January 26th, 2011 06:00

The master "boot" password wouldn't let me into BIOS... only when Dell provided a second password was I able to bypass whatever password was set and access BIOS.

1 Message

January 30th, 2011 06:00

Hey,

I was wondering if you would please send me the link to the free app to generate boot passwords.  Thank  you very much.

1 Message

February 4th, 2011 16:00

Hello.
Could you please send me the link to the free app that generates boot passwords? Not sure it will help with my system, but would like to give it a shot.
I'm stuck at the screen requesting a BIOS password for my Dell Inspiron E-1505 laptop.

Thank you.
danny_roman

6 Posts

February 5th, 2011 08:00

cant get pas the password  Please send info God Bless  <ADMIN NOTE:Email id removed per privacy policy>

6 Posts

February 5th, 2011 08:00

>hi locked out dell inspiron 1000 bought it in 2005 cant do anything asking for password  dont have  can you help . Guy

6 Posts

February 5th, 2011 13:00

please can you send me the password  thanking you in advance guy spennato <ADMIN NOTE:Email id removed per privacy policy>

please can you send me the password  thanking you in advance guy spennato <ADMIN NOTE:Email id removed per privacy policy>

i though iwas loged in  please explain  thank you

6 Posts

February 12th, 2011 19:00

hi i have a inspiron 1000 canot  acess laptop at all asking for password can you help                                                                                                                                                             thank you                                                                                                                                                                   Guy

6 Posts

February 13th, 2011 10:00

hi my name is Guy i have a dell inspiron 1000 could please send me the link for the bios password Thank You

6 Posts

February 13th, 2011 10:00

hi ihave the same problem .enter  password  dont know please help thankyou

1 Message

March 7th, 2011 02:00

Could you please send me the link to <ADMIN NOTE: Email address removed per privacy policy>? Thanks!

1 Message

July 13th, 2011 15:00

Could you send me the link please. I'm very much apprciate it. I'm stuck at the screen requesting a BIOS password for my Dell Studio 1750

1 Message

January 15th, 2012 15:00

hello , i need the program, please email me if possible < ADMIN NOTE : Email id removed per privacy policy >

Thank You

4 Posts

January 15th, 2012 16:00

that 5 digit error code (phoenix bios) is what is used to calculate a master password for your Dell, most Dell's use the 7 digit service tag to calculate the master password. yes it easy and can be done just like Dell does it. send me a email: <ADMIN NOTE: Email address removed per privacy policy>I'll help you out.

No Events found!