Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 10th, 2012 05:00

Beep-Beep sound when I turn on my laptop

Hello!

I just have bought Dell laptop Inspiron 15R n5520. I got it delivered this morning. I red the instructions and did as it said. I connected the power adapter and pressed the power button. It seemed like laptop turns on but in the end all I got is white glowing screen and weird beep-beep sound.  Laptop is already charging for hours and it still do not work... What should I do?

Thanks!

4.4K Posts

August 10th, 2012 09:00

Hi,

8 beeps indicates LCD failure.

Did  you notice any physical damage on the package when it was delivered?

Private message me your system Service Tag number (its at the bottom on a sticker). To private message click on my user name,click start conversation.

I will check your system details and get back to you.

Thank You

285 Posts

October 4th, 2014 12:00

Hi,

Could any one administrator will remove the information about service tag and key details from last post.

Hi Murugan27,

8 beeps come means, It may failure of LCD or its LCD  cable Connection

4.4K Posts

August 10th, 2012 06:00

Hi  sancxa,

Welcome to the Community,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble on this new system.Beep sounds can be used as Diagnostic indicator.Two beeps on this system model would mean No Memory (RAM) detected.It could be while shipping the RAM memory got dislocated from the connector port(which is right at the bottom of the system).

This is where the Memory RAM is located on the system :

Try disconnecting the AC Adapter,remove the Battery,press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.Reconnect both AC adapter and Battery.Turn on the system.If the issue persists  and you continue to hear two beep sounds,you may need to reseat the memory (RAM),to ensure they are not loose.

You can refer to Owners Manual link below for steps to reseat RAM:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins7520/en/om15R/om_en.pdf

Let me know if you need more help,

Thank You

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Sorry *8 beeps.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Thank you for your answer. But I made a mistake. At first I didn't think that it matters how many beeps I hear. Laptop does exactly  beeps. Does it changes a thing?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 11th, 2012 05:00

Ok, I will send you Service Tad number. And yes, package was damaged, but at first it was hard to spot. I will write to you more details in private message.  

January 18th, 2013 01:00

My dell inspiron 5520 have same problem but i am not sure how many beeps i here........ then after 3 days my laptop not starting, my father calling to dell customer care-- they said that motherboard is dead, and they (dell) tell me that will replace motherboard within 7 days......

(please try to understand my english, because my english is very poor)

4.4K Posts

January 18th, 2013 20:00

Hi Prashant,

Beep codes can be used as diagnostic indicator to isolate hardware/part failure.If your system is within warranty any part replacement is covered by the warranty.

If you need help in getting the status on the motherboard replacement please feel free to private message me your system Service tag number.To private message click on my user name and click start conversation.

Thank You

2 Posts

February 4th, 2013 20:00

Roshan,

Thanks for posting the link to the owner's manual. Strangely, the Dell support site says there aren't any manuals available online for my Inspiron 15R 5520.

The owner's manual you posted has good descriptions of how to replace hardware, but I don't see any beep code descriptions. Do you have a link to where the beep codes are listed for this model?

4.4K Posts

February 5th, 2013 03:00

Hi DrDan T,

The computer might emit a series of beeps during start-up if the LCD cannot display errors or problems.

Please refer to this Beep code Overview:

Beep Code Overview
Beeps Description Possible Cause
1 BIOS ROM checksum in progress or failure System board failure, covers BIOS corruption or ROM errors.
2 No Memory (RAM) detected Memory or Memory slot failure
  • chipset Error (North and South bridge error, DMA/IMR/Timer error)
  • Time-Of-Day Clock test failure
  • Gate A20 failure
  • Super I/O chip failure
  • Keyboard controller test failure
System board failure
4 Memory read / write failure Memory failure
5 Real Time Clock (RTC) power fail CMOS battery failure
6 Video BIOS test failure Video subsystem failure
7 CPU Cache test failure Processor failure
8 LCD LCD failure

Hope this helps,

Thank You

2 Posts

February 5th, 2013 07:00

Thanks! I have seven beeps--should I just replace the motherboard then?

4.4K Posts

February 5th, 2013 23:00

Hi  DrDanT,

If your system is emitting 7 beeps on start up (No Post) then you will need to replace the motherboard.

Please private message me your system Service Tag number.To private message click on my user name and click start conversation.

I will check your system warranty details and get back to you with repair options.

Thank You

March 24th, 2013 12:00

My Dell ins. 5520 giving me continues beep and nothing is working what's the problem? 

4.4K Posts

March 26th, 2013 04:00

Hi  Ahmed Abdulmana,

As posted on my above reply ( on 5 Feb 2013 5:18 AM) beep codes can be used as diagnostic indicator.I would suggest you to release flea power first,then turn on the system and try to identify the number of beeps and compare it to the chart posted on my reply to identify the issue.

To release flea power disconnect the AC adapter,remove battery,disconnect all external peripherals(USB devices) and then press and hold power button for 30 seconds.Reconnect only the AC adapter and battery then turn on the system.

Please confirm the number of beeps you hear when you turn on the system.

Thank You

1 Message

March 31st, 2013 05:00

my dell inspiron 5520 get three Beep Codes at start, kindly advise what can i do?

No Events found!