Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 25th, 2013 23:00

Beep code

My Dell Vostro emits 3 series of 5 beeps before starting up as normal. If the clock shows the correct time does this mean the CMOS clock is OK and that replacing it will not fix the problem?

1.3K Posts

May 25th, 2013 23:00

Hi Otway1,

Welcome to Dell Community Forum.

5 beep codes generally indicate RTC Power Fail/CMOS failure and if you are comfortable replacing the battery yourself, you can definitely do so. However, we request you to be cautious and follow relevant precautionary measures prior to opening the chassis.

For further information, click on the link below for a list of beep codes and error messages for your Vostro system.

http://dell.to/18hZqn3

Please provide us the complete system model so that we are able to provide you with a link for the manual and documentation for your Vostro computer. The manual would have details on how to disassemble your computer.

Let me know if further help is needed.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

1.3K Posts

May 26th, 2013 22:00

Hi Geoff,

Thank you for your reply.

Since your system is a Dell Vostro 3550, please click on the link below for a computer manual which will guide you in replacing the CMOS/Coin-cell battery. However, as a precautionary measure, we recommend you do it yourself only if you are comfortable doing so.

http://dell.to/11k8uPh

Steps for Removing The Coin-Cell Battery:

•  Follow the procedures in Before Working On Your Computer
  •  Remove the battery.
  •  Remove the access panel.
  •  Remove the keyboard.
  •  Remove the palm rest.
  •  Press on the coin-cell battery to release it from the system board.

Steps for Installing The Coin-Cell Battery:

•  Insert the coin-cell battery into the slot.
  •  Press on the coin-cell battery until it secures into place.
  •  Install the palm rest.
  •  Install the keyboard.
  •  Install the access panel.
  •  Install the battery.
  •  Follow the procedures in After Working Inside Your Computer.

Let me know if further assistance is needed. We would be happy to help.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

5 Posts

May 26th, 2013 22:00

The Laptop is a Dell Vostro 3550. Can you please give me instructions on how to replace the CMOS battery .. Regards Geoff Jarratt.

1.3K Posts

May 30th, 2013 04:00

Hi Geoff,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to my post.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

No Events found!