Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 10th, 2012 15:00

Constant freezing when using internet on XPS l702x

Hello, this is JuliuszD.

I have a very annoying situation and I am not sure where to turn to. I have a dell XPS L702x Interl core i5-2430M CPU @ 2.4 GHz, 4.00 GB RAM, Windows ultimate 64-bit. My problem is that I have constant freezing, but only when I am using the internet. I know this is not a virus, I have scanned my computer with 3 different antivirus programs, I have fixed my registry errors using ccleaner, defragmented my hard drive, and I have ran my internet browsers with no add-ons. After doing all of these tasks I still have no luck, although the freezing is less common when using Google chrome...The freezing occurs usually when I go on mozilla or internet explorer, or when I use chrome for around 30-45 minutes. I use my laptop to play games, and so I have an Nvidia graphics driver installed along with a crumby intel HD 3000 driver. I am terrible with computers, so I have tried what I can. I have re-installed run.dll from my original windows CD, with no success either. The freezing is very random, sometimes before I even click an internet browser, sometimes after hours of using a browser. When it freezes, depending on what I am doing it will loop a sound, such as when I am listening to music. Ctrl+Alt+Del does not work when it freezes either.

Any thoughts or programs that may help me out?

Thanks!  

September 11th, 2012 05:00

Hi,

Please follow the steps below to troubleshoot the issue :

1. Ensure there are no external peripherals connected like printers, external keyboards or mouse.
  2. We can also try to boot the computer in safe mode. To boot the computer in safe mode, please switch on the computer and start tapping the F8 key which would take you to Advanced Boot Option screen. Using the up and down arrow key, select Safe Mode with networking to boot the computer into Safe Mode with Networking.
  3. If the problem started recently, you can do a system restore. Follow the steps below to do system restore:
        1.Click  then click Control Panel.
        2.Click System and Security.    
        3.Click System.
        4.Click System Protection.|
        5.Click System Restore.
        6.Click Next.
        7.Click the Show more restore points check box for a complete listing of restore points.
        8.Click to select a restore point.
        9.Click Next and Finish
        10.Click Yes.
         Once the system restore successfully completes, the computer restarts.Check if you are facing the same issue once the system restarts.

Please reply with the results.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

22 Posts

September 11th, 2012 12:00

Hello,

I have tried booting in safe mode, with no success. I have had this problem for a few weeks, but before it was far less common. After reading online, I figured out that freezing may be due to outdated drivers. So I updated them, and some of my software, such as internet explorer to explorer 9. After these updates, my computer worked fine for around 5 days. After 5 days, the random freezing began. I have figured out that it is mainly due to usage of the internet. Whenever a page takes a little bit longer to load, my computer slows down, and when I move my computer mouse a little bit it instantly freezes. I have also noticed that svchost has been using quite a bit of my RAM, around 133,000 K. I have around 7 svchost floating around and I am sure they are not infected. I play games as well, and when I do, that's when svchost goes crazy. Right now, while I am typing this message svchost is using 142,000k and my RAM is 36% used.

September 14th, 2012 05:00

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and elaborating on the issue. Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs).It  is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32.There are historical cases of malware using svchost.exe, because of its common presence.

I would suggest you to check the list of services using the svchost.Please follow the steps below to view the list of services:

1. Click Start on the Windows taskbar, and then click Run.
  2. Type CMD, and then press ENTER.
  3. Type Tasklist /SVC, and then press ENTER.
  4. You will see a long list and check if any unidentified services are using svchost.

You can also refer to the Microsoft Article No. 314056

Please reply for further assistance.

Thanks and Regards           
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell 

22 Posts

September 15th, 2012 22:00

Ok, nothing is safe from the freezing. I don't think it is svchost anymore. I am experiencing a lot of freezing even when disconnected  from the internet. It has something to do with a process that brings up information out of the hard drive. I turned off all of my antivirus ware, and disconnected from the internet, just to watch a movie, and still freezing. It cannot be my RAM, I have 4 gigs of it...I think its something that loads programs from the hard drive. Whatever it is, I am re-installing windows and I will see if it is over. 

Thank you for your help!

September 21st, 2012 15:00

Hi,

Please let me know if you require any help in Operating System reinstallation.
If the issue still persists even after reinstallation of windows, I would recommend you to run hardware diagnostics. Restart the computer and keep tapping F12, which will take you to “One Time Boot Menu”

Choose diagnostics and let me know the error messages if any.

Please reply for further assistance.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

22 Posts

September 21st, 2012 19:00

Ok, I have done the diagnostics, and my computer has deleted some files before startup. It is running for now. I have also re-installed adobe flash player as well. No freezing for now. I will let you know if there will be any freezes!

Thank You!

No Events found!