Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2014 19:00

Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart, appears after Dell logo screen upon starting up (Laptop won't boot to the Windows screen)

Hi! I have a Dell inspiron 14z with Windows 7 and randomly this afternoon I went to turn on my laptop, and after the Dell logo screen appears, a black screen with "Press ctrl + alt + del to restart" appears (It does not boot to the Windows screen). There is no other error message or anything else on the screen, and when I follow the instructions (press ctrl alt del) it just keeps bringing me back to the same screen. I have tried turning it on and off with the power button, tried using the diagnostics tool via f12 on the Dell logo screen, and it passed. I have read that by pressing f8, I will be able to enter the screen to reset the laptop back to an earlier time, however f8 doesn't seem to work. I have tried pressing it rapidly upon restarting, pressing it slowly, and holding it down multiple times and nothing happens, it just brings me to the same error screen. Any help would be much appreciated! 

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 8th, 2014 23:00

Hi atucker500,

I’d suggest that you follow the steps mentioned below and check if you are able to go into F8 advanced options screen.

1. Switch off the computer.
  2. Disconnect the AC adapter from the system.
  3. Remove the battery from the computer.
  4. Press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds.
  5. Then connect back all the peripherals and check if you are able to go into F8 advanced options screen.

1 Message

April 15th, 2015 12:00

Did not work. Now what do I do? The background before I had this issue is I ran the alienware hardware check and it came up with disk errors. I then ran the "check disk for errors" an it ran for 24 hours and it was frozen at around 80%. Computer did not respond, I did a hard restart by holding down the power button, then I am at this issue.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 15th, 2015 16:00

If the system is under warranty, boot to the Dell diagnostics (press F12 a few times on powerup to get in).

Run an extended hard drive test and record the error beginning with 2000-.  Report to Dell and they'll replace the drive.

If the system is out of warranty, you'll need a new SATA notebook drive -- likely 9.5 mm or slimmer, though some newer systems need a 7 mm drive.

No Events found!