Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 23rd, 2014 19:00

Dell Inspiron 3421 Display Issue

I have Dell Inspiron 3421 laptop, 1.5 years old running Windows 8.1 Pro. Yesterday I was running my laptop and suddenly the display went blank, the hard disk indicator was active. I restarted the laptop and it started diagnose and restarted automatically.

What happens now is that the system boots up, the Dell logo appears & a circle ring below indicating that the system is loading but soon after that the display goes out. The system light and hard disk light are running showing that the system is loading but just that the display won't show.

All drivers and Windows is up to date. I had updated the BIOS from A08 to A12, 4 days before the issue. There was no problem in those 4 days after the BIOS update. I have run the system diagnostic and it is clean, no issues reported.

What could be the problem here?

332 Posts

July 23rd, 2014 21:00

Hi asifniz,

Welcome to the Dell Community.

There seems to be problem with the LCD screen on your computer to confirm we will have to perform the ‘LCD BIST’ (Built in Self-test) on the computer. Please follow the steps mentioned below to run the “LCD BIST’.

1. Turn of the computer.
  2. Press and hold down the ‘D’ key on the keyboard and press the Power button.
  3. You will see different colors on the LCD screen. Please check if the screen is DIM.

Also, please connect the system to an external monitor and check if you are able to view the display on the external monitor.

Let us know your findings.

9 Posts

July 23rd, 2014 22:00

Is this test in any way different from the pre-boot diagnostic test? I had run that and it came out clear.

Also I don't have any other external monitor so I can't do that.

9 Posts

July 24th, 2014 04:00

Just an update on the issue, I ran your suggested test and the colors were appearing bright & normal.

However, I went into diagnose again by pressing F8 and in there it showed problem in the following file:

'C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt'

So I then went to system restore and restored my system to 4 days back and the windows started again with no issue.

What is so special with this file that it caused the LCD to stop working soon after the Dell logo appears?

332 Posts

July 26th, 2014 02:00

Hi Asifniz,

Regarding the LCD Test we suggested you earlier, yes this is different from the initial test we performed on the system.

With regards to the error : C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt' would suggest you to click on the link http://bit.ly/1qELuho and refer to the post by Moderator.

Hope this helps.

No Events found!