Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2010 12:00

Dell Inspiron 6400 and O2 Dongles - "no network availability"

Hi all

Any clues as to why O2 dongles (I've tried two - a Huwaii model E169, and an MF 100) will not connect to the web on my Inspiron, running Windows 7?

Recently upgraded the o/s from Vista to Win 7, and all is fine except that these dongles just will not work; I have loaded and re-loaded (endlessly!) the Windows 7 patch from the O2 website for the Huwaii dongle, and all it seems to do is grab the wifi connection and then demand that I "enable your wifi". Then, in desperation, I bought a new MF 100 dongle specifically because it says Win 7 compatible, only to find that although the software loads fine and Connection Manager appears, it simply says "no networks available"

The Huwaii works fine on my other Inspiron running XP

Got to think it's a conflict issue of some sort on the Inspiron running Win 7, rather than dongle faults as they work on other laptops, but I don't know where to start on resolving this

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Andy McG

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 7th, 2010 13:00

Check with your wireless provider - many of these adapters need firmware upgrades to work properly with Windows 7. There are reports all over with these devices not working with Windows 7 - it's the adapter that needs an upgrade.

For instance,

http://broadband.o2.co.uk/win7upgrade/huawei.jsp

3 Posts

April 7th, 2010 14:00

Thanks. 

That is exactly the patch I previously downloaded for the Huwaii, when the original error was occurring. Hence why I bought the MF dongle, supposedly configured for Win 7, so presumably not in need of retro patches.

That's why it feels like the laptop is the issue (two different dongles, neither works?) rather than the O2 devices.

No Events found!