Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

June 30th, 2013 13:00

Dell Inspiron laptop 17R and 4th Generation Intel Chip to be available?

Does anyone know (because Dell doesn't give me a direct answer) when the Dell Inspiron 17R will be available with the 4th generation Intel Chip for ordering?  I see there is only the Alienware Laptop in 17 inch with the 4th Generation chip but cost like over $2,000.  I really don't want the gaming machine since I don't play any game.  I have already a 2nd Generation Dell Inspiron 17R from 2011 and want to buy one more laptop but the 4th Generation and a Inspiron 17R.

Any help would be so appreciated greatly!!  Thank you in advance.  I have been a faithful owner for 9 such years with Dell Laptop.

Cynthia

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

June 30th, 2013 21:00

Hi johnmunch1,

The 4th Generation Intel processor is not available for Inspiron 17R laptop. It is available in Inspiron 15R Touch laptop; please refer to the link below.

http://dell.to/10tJJob

I hope you find this useful.

1 Rookie

• 

15 Posts

July 1st, 2013 07:00

Sorry the link doesn't work.  So no future plans for 17R to have the 4th generation chip installed in it?  I appreciate you answering my question greatly.  Cynthia

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

July 2nd, 2013 03:00

Hi johnmunch1,

I have double checked the link which seems to be working. I would not have the information about the launch of Inspiron 17r with 4th generation processor. However you can search for information on www.dell.com or please contact our sales team on 1-800-999-3355 (U.S.customer)

July 10th, 2013 14:00

Hi Cynthia,

I suspect that unless you know someone with "insider information" that there may be no way to know when Dell will release that model with the new 4th generation chip.  In fact, I'd love to know the release date on the full line of 4th Generation Inspiron 15s.

Dell, like many technology vendors, will be hesitant to announce exactly when an upgraded version will become available because many potential buyers will hold off on making their purchases until the new version is out.

For example, let's say Dell announced that the Inspiron 17R would be available with the 4th Generation Chip on August 13th (a fictional number).  The result would be that many buyers would decide to not buy this month and just wait which would negatively impact Dell inventories of the 3rd Generation versions.

Again, not a knock on Dell.  It's just a common-sense industry practice.

My guess is that if you are willing to wait two or three months then you'll find the version you want or something very close as the 4th Generation chips are still just rolling out.

Hope this helps,

todd

1 Rookie

• 

15 Posts

July 10th, 2013 16:00

Todd, thank you so much for your thoughts and idea on the 4th Generation situation.  I have come to agree highly with what you are saying.  I have been pacing myself for the wait.

I only see the Alienware 17 with the 16GB RAM and 1 TG hard drive with the 4th generation chip install in it too but $1,000 over the price range I wanted to pay.  But I am reading up on the news of it how good this laptop is.  I know it is a gaming machine though I wouldn't use it for Gaming but has the power of RAM and the most hard drive that I feel will be my last laptop to owe.  I don't think I would need to buy anything more after this since I have good luck on long term use with the DELL with very little issue even after warranty ended.  I have currently a 2nd generation chip in a 17R Inspiron that I still enjoy and to me is fast enough.  It is still faster than any of the previous DELL laptop that I had built and owned.  If something does comes out for the 4th Generation chip Inspiron 17 that my 2nd Generation will be handed down to my husband to wish will blow him away from the other laptop he has been using.  :) 

But I appreciate your thoughts greatly and thank you again for sharing your views.  It is valuable.

Have a great day!

Cynthia

No Events found!