Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 14th, 2012 08:00

Dell Inspiron projector output

Hi all, Have a brandnew Dell Inspiron, but big issues trying to connect it to my LCD tv using a VGA cable.laptop locks, or black screen,while no output on tv was seen. After some experiments,with help of Dell, problem was solved by using a different VGA cable. Strange is that my HP laptop had no issues with this former VGA cable. I compared all VGA cables I have, but none of them seem to be identical. Some connectors have missing pins,others don't. They all have different E numbers, one cable is thicker then the other cable. So although my problem is solved, does anyone know the difference between all these VGA cables, and which one should be used? Thanks. Bye Hans

10 Posts

October 25th, 2012 09:00

Ok...to make a long story short: the motherboard&processor are replaced, and now HDMI 2 LCD tv works!

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

September 14th, 2012 09:00

HI Hans,

A Video Graphics Array (VGA) is a three-row 15-pin DE-15 connector. The 15-pin VGA connector is found on many video cards, computer monitors, and some high definition television sets. On laptop computers or other small devices, a mini-VGA port is sometimes used in place of the full-sized VGA connector. VGA connectors and cables carry analog component RGBHV (red, green, blue, horizontal sync, vertical sync) video signals, and VESA Display Data Channel (VESA DDC) data. Can you please provide the model number of your computer and for the projector? I can check and let you know the difference between these cables.  Please refer the link below to find out more about the cable and pins.

http://bit.ly/SxqiI

In case certain pins are missing in the cable which means that particular feature is not available in the cable.

10 Posts

September 15th, 2012 10:00

Hi,

thanks for your mail. The Laptop is a N5050 Inspiron, the projector is a Philips LCD tv.

I just used some VGA cables which I had, see below for the details and result.

nr on Connector                                              nr on cable               missing pins?          remark

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I/F 3138 118 73410                                        E101344                   1,7,11,14                    works fine  

I/F 3138 178 71150     E118405                  E81280                       1,2,7                           works fine

I/F 3138 188 72051     E118405                  E55218                       none                           doesn't work.

The 3rd cable, which shows these problems, is thinner then the other 2 cables. Strangely this 3rd cable works fine on a HP laptop with the same Philips LCD tv

thanks,

Hans

10 Posts

September 18th, 2012 11:00

Thanks for helping, I don't understand either...at least the Dell is working now .

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

September 18th, 2012 11:00

Hi Hans,

The first two cables are working fine with the Dell system to the LCD TV. I can only speculate why the third cable is not working even though it has all the Pins. I’m not sure if we will be able to get a satisfactory answer without troubleshooting it in an engineering level. I would suggest you to contact the manufacturer of the VGA cable and see if they can come up with any answers.

10 Posts

September 23rd, 2012 06:00

Haha, the story continues....

I bought an HDMI cable, tried connecting my Philips LCD TV to my Dell Inspiron N5050 laptop, but no luck.

Both the devices are unable to detect signals....is this not possible??

10 Posts

September 23rd, 2012 07:00

No, the VGA2VGA works now.

It's HDMI to HDMI in this case

934 Posts

Maybe this video(there are more on YouTube....) can give you some useful information

934 Posts

If you are trying to connect an HDMI port (digital signals)to a VGA port(analog signals) a simple cable won't do - you need a converter box.

(in your previous post you only mentioned a VGA port available for your TV)

10 Posts

September 29th, 2012 09:00

The laptop is sent back to Dell for repair... It's for sure not ok.

We'll see...thanks for the tips

10 Posts

October 10th, 2012 03:00

The story continues...

This system was sent back for repair to Dell, but

returned unchanged..they tested functionality to a HDMI monitor, which worked. So after 'repair' of course the system still didn't work using HDMI to a Philips LCD. I believe it works fine on a HDMI monitor, but just the combination to a Philips LCD gives problems. Also I tested it on another (Philips) LCD, same result. After seaching the internet on HDMI and Intel Graphics 3000 I found many hits, and believe the videocard or driver is the issue.

Because my other laptop, whis is identical apart from an i3 processor does work on the Philips LCD

makes me think this problem  should be solveable....but how.

bye Hans

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 18th, 2013 13:00

You cannot use a cable to convert VGA (analog) to HDMI (digital).  You need a powered converter box such as

www.amazon.com/.../B00384D67O

2 Posts

ok got it .... thax a ton .... can i connect VGA to VGA then .....

2 Posts

Hi, 

I am having similar issue with my Dell vostro laptop.

I am trying to connect my Laptop(VGA port) to LCD tv (Hdmi) using a vga to hdmi cable but i am getting "No Signal".

Can someone advise on this?

Regards,

Abhi

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 18th, 2013 14:00

Yes, that you can do with a simple 15-pin to 15-pin male to male VGA cable.

No Events found!