Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

May 15th, 2012 16:00

Dell Latitude E6220 fan problem

Hey there, I have just purchased a second hand  Dell Latitude E6220.

However I get the error code #M1004 which is to do with the computer overheating.

Upon inspecting the laptop I don't think the fan is coming on at all (and therefore causing the laptop to overheat).

I have looked at the fan (and took a picture) as you can see from the picture there are 4 wires, 4 soldering points on the fan; however two wires go to the same soldering point, could it be this that is preventing the fan from functioning?

Thank you.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 15th, 2012 20:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

Each point or terminal should have one cord only. But there could be a reason why previous owner soldered it there? Possible that it was faulty before and he/she made some configurations. Try running some diagnostics, restart the computer, keep tapping F12 when you see Dell Logo. Choose diagnostics. On Pre-Boot-Assessment test fan will be tested (this diagnostic is available if the previous owner did not erase this partition)

You can also try updating BIOS ; http://dell.to/JfqmsU (download file and run, make sure the ac adapter and battery is connected)

Let me know of the results. Glad to help!

10 Posts

May 16th, 2012 05:00

Update:

Error code 2000-0511 Validation 57953

Fan - The processor fan failed to respond correctly

It also says current: 10000 RPM, High 10000 RPM, Low 10000 RPM

It also says in the event log "Thermal System board thermal trip"

10 Posts

May 16th, 2012 05:00

Thank you for your reply will try now.

The laptop doesn't have windows on it and I'm scared of trying to install it on there in case the laptop over heats. Is there another way to update the bios without windows?

10 Posts

May 16th, 2012 18:00

I've updated the BIOS and the fan still doesn't function and still displays the error in diagnostics.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 17th, 2012 00:00

Hi,

I think you need to replace the fan. You can also, reseat CPU and re-apply thernal paste. It should be within the CPU and heatsink. BIOS file that we have on support site can run only within windows, anyway you have tried updating it and same thing happens, so possible that you will have to get a system fan.

10 Posts

May 17th, 2012 04:00

Okay thank you. I also think the CPU is soldered on this model so it can't be removed.

Will hopefully find a fan from somewhere.

Thank you again.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 20th, 2012 00:00

Yes you are right, this series has a motherboard with CPU on it. Sorry about that. If you need further assistance, please let me know. Glad to help.

Regards,

No Events found!