Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

March 3rd, 2017 09:00

Dell Studio 1747 - Battery Does Not Charge Above 5%

Hi,

I have a Dell Studio 1747 running Windows 10 Pro, which I think is coming up to about 8 years old now.

For the last few years, a warning message appears saying that the battery can no longer perform optimally and that it should be replaced. Until now, I have just ignored that. However, yesterday, the battery no longer charges above 5%. When plugged in, it just says (Charging, Plugged In) but never goes above 5%. The low battery orange indicator light by where you plug the charger in is also constantly on now. However, if I unplug the charger, I get no low battery warning and the laptop does not turn off.

Does the battery need replacing? Or is this some other hardware issue? What steps can I take to diagnose this?

Since it is not causing any other performance issues and since I hardly use the battery anyway I am not too bothered about this, but it would be good to know what it is in case it develops into something worse.

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

March 3rd, 2017 11:00

I'm almost certain your battery is on its last leg, if not last toe.  Batteries generally start to die out after 2 or so years depending on use.  If you don't need to use the battery i'd just unplug it and keep it until you replace it.  If you don't want to replace it dispose of it properly.  

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 3rd, 2017 13:00

To clarify--you can take the battery out and leave it out. Use the adapter alone. If that works and you don't need the mobility, use it as a desktop replacement until you can buy a new computer. It would not be smart to spend anything for a new battery that might not work. Dell doesn't sell batteries for your model anymore.

Dell computers needs genuine Dell batteries. Dell says this--

Sorry, but we no longer offer batteries for this model

No Events found!