Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 1st, 2011 20:00

Enable or disable the hybrid graphics functio on Bios Dell Vostro 3500

My laptop is a  Dell vostro 3500 i5-460m  nvidia 310m with Hybrid Graphics System and BIOS A10 ( dual gpu intel/nvidia) ...

At bios , the system show me only the nvidia 310 as a video graphics controller  (at system information tab)

At Advanced  tab I don't have any options to disable this Hybrid Graphic technology ( I have a Media Device Option ??? what this do ?) ....but

at the online support documentation (  http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/Vos3500/en/SM/Bios.htm#Overview ) it show up a option for disable and enable Hybrid Graphic as you can check bellow

So , with this Hybrid System i can only install nvidia drivers from dell's site which is very old, and  I need the newest one  from nvidia's site.

On Linux , i cant get any 3D accelerator even with open sources drivers =\.

My problem is , HOW CAN I DISABLE THIS INTEL GRAPHICS CARD ?

This is  a  In-Processor feature or a In-Motherboard feature  ? Changing the processor for one that don't have this graphic onboard  let my system with only Nvidia 310 for graphics ?

Does Dell have plan to back this feature show above, back  in the next bios ???
This is possible (yes/no)? Please , I need that answer

29 Posts

February 14th, 2011 17:00

I'm with you all.

Dell should give us the BIOS option to decide what we want. Hybrid graphics or just the Nvidia.

I mean hey, it's a documented feature.

1 Message

January 11th, 2011 02:00

I'm having the same problem. No one will answer?

8 Posts

January 11th, 2011 02:00

I am also interested in this topic, but from the other way around: I would like to enable to the hybrid graphics mode. I want that for better power consumption and I am also hoping that it would solve this very annoying issue: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19335374/19708020.aspx

I have a Dell Vostro 3700 with an i5-560M processor (which according to Intel's site has integrated video capabilities) and a nVidia GeForce GT330M video card. I also have the latest BIOS version (A10) and I also cannot find the "Hybrid Graphic" option.

Doesn't anybody have an older BIOS version where he/she would be able to check if the "Hybrid Graphic" option is available?

Does anybody know if the hybrid option is also dependent on a certain hardware configuration (for example at motherboard level, or at the GeForce chip version) ? If so how can I identify if my computer supports / or not that option, since from the product specifications on Dell's site you really cannot tell if a certain model has hybrid capability or not? Any way that this can be solved via a firmware update?

Any input would be appreciated.

[PS: Sorry guys, I am new to the forum. Didn't want my post to appear as an answer, but it seems that now I cannot change that anymore.]

26 Posts

February 14th, 2011 00:00

same problem, answer please!

29 Posts

February 17th, 2011 07:00

Today i had a call with the dell technical support. Sounds like they have no plans for enabling this option. :emotion-12:

3 Posts

February 17th, 2011 07:00

This is so sad ! I am very disappointed with Dell, I lost my hopes to solve this problem ... Now I know why I was advised not to buy a dell =\

1 Message

March 18th, 2011 13:00

hey friends i had this problem when i have formated my laptop and installed windows 7 ultimate.i was worried seeing two display adapters in the device manager.then i have launched an update provided by windows and it installed my driver for the intel graphic card.then i went on dell website and there i saw a driver for nvidia switchable... there is the solution.installing this driver will allow you to switch from intel to Nvidia card..on using battery il will use the intel and when power by the adaptor it will use both depending on the demand..you can disable the intel by using the settings in the power option...useful to save energy..

27 Posts

March 18th, 2011 18:00

as you might notice, the driver is very outdated. we also have demanded that dell can update the driver but never got an answer.

3 Posts

November 24th, 2014 03:00

i feel you bro i am trying to find a solution for this 10 days now i have a new laptop and i am very disappointed with Dell i cant boot my linux because of hybrid graphics.

this is an very old thread but i just bump it. 

This is the worst part of Dell i dont see why cant have the freedom to choice what we want to use on our own PC this is just so BAD! 

No Events found!