Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

27 Posts

June 6th, 2008 22:00

How to find out Intel Chipset Driver version?

PC: XPS M1530

I want to know how to find out which Chipset driver I'm currently using.

I downloaded the latest offering from Dell's site, and when I tried to install it, it said "installaction sucessful", however nothing popped up (no installation status bar, no request to reboot etc.) So I assume that I either already have the lastest chipset drivers installed, or something's wrong.

I went to the Device Manager, via the control panel, however I couldn't figure out which entry belongs to the chipset.

Also, suppose I want to do a clean re-install. According to Dell's site the proper order is this:

• Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) -(don't think my laptop came with this AFAIK)
  • Chipset
  • Video Adapter
  • Network Interface Card (NIC)
  • Audio Adapter
  •  

etc.

Do I do all of the chipset, video adapter etc. driver installations before, or after, I update windows vista?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

EDIT: Clarify threat title 

Message Edited by illuminaare on 06-07-2008 12:58 AM

4.6K Posts

June 7th, 2008 02:00

@illuminaare wrote:

I want to know how to find out which Chipset driver I'm currently using.

I found it by Googling 'Dell XPS M1530 motherboard chipset?' :smileytongue:

But the Intel Chipset Identification Utility would also tell you, it's an Intel Mobile PM965 Express, drivers for which you can download from the official website.

Whether they're any newer than the ones being offered on the Dell downloads page, you'll have to find out for yourself.

illuminaare wrote:  

Do I do all of the chipset, video adapter etc. driver installations before, or after, I update windows vista?

Before :smileywink: 

27 Posts

June 7th, 2008 02:00

Thanks for the info. I'll update all my hardware then, before I update windows.

But by my first quesiton, I meant to ask how do I find out what driver versions do I currently have installed. So  I know whether or not I have the up-to-date chipset drivers or not.

I just want to verify that my chipset drivers are up-to-date because when I tried to install the latest (from dell's site) I got the "sucessfully installed" message, but the install didn't even commence, nor did the installation application ask for a reboot... so I'm a bit concerned.

June 7th, 2008 03:00

Download this great little utility - it'll list all your main devices:

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

27 Posts

June 7th, 2008 04:00

Thanks for the recommendation. It IS a great app for getting a quick run-down of the system. Unfortunately it doesn't list the actual chipset drivers; it only lists the name of the chipset.

It's still useful to have in case I need to know anything else about my system, but I would still like to know the current driver version I have installed for my chipset. 

340 Posts

June 7th, 2008 05:00

There is only one chipset driver listed for your system:

Chipset driver

The other one is for your memory card reader:Chipset for Ricoh 

You need both of them.

Message Edited by Jakpro on 06-06-2008 11:09 PM

4.6K Posts

June 7th, 2008 16:00

There are actually specific driver identification utilities available.

Ones which come to mind, are PC PitStop's 'Driver Alert', Driver Detective, and Version Tracker Pro (Google them).

They can not only identify which driver versions you have installed, but can point you in the direction of any updates which are available, and provide a link from which to download them.

However, you have to buy the program before you can download any available updates.

27 Posts

June 9th, 2008 23:00

Thanks for the tips. I was hoping there was a way to be able to identify them in the Device Manager without having to install any 3rd party software.

That's alright. I just had my laptop replaced (long story) and when I tried to install the latest chipset and Ricoh, it BSOD'd upon reboot and wouldn't let windows load. Thank God for factory restore! I guess the drivers on the Dell website don't work (even though the installation of said drivers went through without a hitch).

So, I decided to not update anything, and just let windows do it's thing. I now have SP1, and a few updates via windows (graphics drivers, webcam etc.). I'll just leave well enough alone for now, and be grateful for a stable and working PC lol

No Events found!