This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 3rd, 2003 19:00

I8500 Audio Fixes and Advanced Features

Ok so I figured I would take another stab at fixing the audio issues on the I8500 and I may have found some solutions. If anyone uses any of these please let me know how/if they work for you especially the pop fix.

-

Inspiron 8500 - SigmaTel 9750 Fixes & Advanced Features - Registry Patchs
By: Nautis

Contents:
Adds "Microphone" to playback volume control. - Download This One Only

This allows you to hear and adjust the built in microphone and anything plugged into the microphone port (line in) through the volume control panel.

Adds "3D Depth" to the playback volume control. (aka. SS3D - SigmaTel Surround 3D Stereo Enhancement) - Download This One Only
This allows control of a virtual 3D sound enhancement through the volume control panel.

Adds "Time to power saving state" control to the SigmaTel Audio control panel. - (Paired with audible pop fix)
This allows for adjustment of seconds after audio is done before power saving is activated.

Fixes power saving mask of audible pop?   TESTING NEEDED - Download This One Only
This may fix the audible power up and power down pop when power saving is enabled. 

Disables the annoying "PC Speaker Beep" for current user. - Download This One Only
This disables the annoying PC speaker beep if you adjust the master volume with your mouse (the beep can be heard in other circumstances too.)

Download All Here

Please Note: These are registry patches and could potentially damage your system. Use at your own risk. Advanced users you can open these registry patches in a text editor to see what the settings are and where in the registry they are located. If you are weary about trying these then don't.

Screenshots:

-

Right now im working on the noise some people are experiencing among other things. (Ground noise, lack of filtering?)
I may soon add a driver download with these settings preset by default.
More coming.

P.S. Dont forget to restart the system after applying registry patches.

1 Message

July 4th, 2003 05:00

Thanks Nautis for those fixes.

I recently bought the i8500 for professional audio use.

I am one of the people who are experiencing this grounding noise. The noise seems to change in-sync with the hard drive seeking

I get the noise from both the onboard sound and the echo indigo when plugged into powered monitor speakers.

I do not experience the noise through headphones.

any idea where the best place would be to ground the laptop from?

hopefully some of this information is helpful in pinning down the cause of this problem

Thanks again for taking the time to look into this

1 Message

July 6th, 2003 15:00

Thanks Nautis, your audio fixes are the answer to my own thread (http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_audio&message.id=14179).
With that registry fix I got exactly that microphone control activated I was missing.
One other question now is: is there an other registry tweak that makes the mic volume go through the main volume control (the volume slider on the far left side) as it works for all the other controls (Wave, SW synth,CD Player).
On my I8500 I only did activate your 'Adds "Microphone" to playback volume control'. With that, the mic control slider becomes active and working but the the volume can't be set with the main volume control and therefor not with the hardware volume control buttons on the keyboard as well.

KSt

19 Posts

July 7th, 2003 05:00

Thanks for the fix, I tried the power saving fix but there is still popping sound. Anyway, thanks again!

Message Edited by gsfeng on 07-07-2003 02:20 AM

49 Posts

July 13th, 2003 18:00

I tried out these registry tweaks and it actually gave me a new problem.  I was getting a pop noise that was not particulary annoying but none the less it was there.  It was just happening randomly.  I just reinstalled the Dell drivers to get rid of the tweaks and it went away.  I don't think these tweaks really have much to offer.   I think the drivers are just poor in the first place.  The volume doesn't really go too high so when I run a divx or any other downloaded movie I have to turn everything up to full blast.  I think this SigmaTel chip was a bad idea.  I am wondering when they are going to start to put some real sound cards in laptops like a Audigy.  It isn't the best but it seems to be great as far as regular consumers go.  I have a desktop model and it is amazing in games and there are no volume issues like with the laptop models.  I am guessing the low volume is sort of a governor to keep you from blowing the speakers that are probably preatty cheap as well.

Model: Inspiron 8500
Processor: Mobile Intel Pentium 4-M 2GHz
Display: 15.4" WUXGA
Memory: 512MB
Network: Linksys WPC54G 802.11gb Wireless Card
Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 (M9)
Hard Drive: 30GB IDE
CDRW/DVD: Hitachi 24x10x24x8
Operating System: WindowsXP

17 Posts

October 5th, 2004 01:00

Couldn't get audio from my Hauppauge WinTV USB working. Hopefully this fixes it.
No Events found!