Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 30th, 2010 08:00

Inspiron 1420 (Vista) won't connect to Internet

Hello. I'm stumped and hope someone out there can help. Here's my story:
We had been using a USB internet connector on both our Dell laptop and desktop (both have Windows Vista) for about a year--with no problems. A few days after going wireless with AT&T, I uninstalled the usb program from the desktop because I got tired of it popping up. Well, that's when wireless stopped working on my desktop.  So we've been using the laptop for the past week for internet. The first few days we'd get instant wireless connection. Then, all of a sudden, a message would pop up saying we couldn't connect. After I'd diagnose the problem and find the connection, however, we would be able to get online. But I figured the problem was stemming from the fact that that we still had the USB internet connector installed on the laptop. So silly me, I figured if I uninstalled that program, I'd be able to get online with my wireless more quickly. WRONG!!!!! If only I could turn back the hands of time.

Once I uninstalled the usb program, I could no longer get online at all. The diagnostics tell me to plug a cable into the network adapter (what cable?), automatically get ip settings (that didn't work), reboot (didn't work either). Nothing works! I had an AT&T tech out here who looked at my desktop, and he said my IP address wasn't showing up or communicating. He was stomped. I was on the phone with another AT&T rep for two hours the other day when the laptop stopped connecting. She said she was stomped and had exhausted every troubleshooting possibility. Finally, she said it was also an IP address and/or driver issue that resulted when I uninstalled the connector from the computers. I know the AT&T modem/router is working properly, because I'm able to use it on my work laptop with no problem. It's the only computer in the house that we had never installed or used the USB internet connector on. Same thing when the tech was here installing wireless internet. He was able to connect wirelessly on his laptop. The problem is clearly with the computers that I uninstalled the usb programs. Dell tech support wouldn't help me because my warranties have expired (my computers are less than two years old).

Do I need to reinstall software or drivers? If so, which ones? And how do I do that? Please help!

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 30th, 2010 11:00

What USB program? Who was your ISP before AT&T?

Was the USB device wired or wireless?

Why was it necessary to have one when you apparently don't need it with AT&T?

9 Posts

October 30th, 2010 22:00

Thanks so much for your response. I had an AT&T USB connector before getting AT&T wireless (via a router). The USB was also wireless, but I switched to the wireless router so that I could have the capability to have internet on multiple computers at home at the same time (I've a family of five).

9 Posts

October 31st, 2010 07:00

I did not have a router with the usb connector. I could only use the connector on one computer at a time. That's why I got rid of it and went totally wireless.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 31st, 2010 07:00

You write in your original post that you had this USB connector on two computers. Didn't you have a router as well? What happened to it?

What else did you leave out????

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 31st, 2010 08:00

Was it a mobile broadband device? It sure sounds like it.

9 Posts

October 31st, 2010 08:00

Yes, it was a mobile broadband device.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 31st, 2010 09:00

Why didn't you say so to begin with??????

We aren't playing 20 Questions here. If you are really interested in getting an answer, I suggest next time you put ALL the information in your FIRST post.

I had ATT mobile broadband using PCMCIA card. When I switched over to Tmobile, I wasn't able to connect. It turns out that the PCMCIA card was still in Device Manager and taking up resources. I had uninstalled the program for connecting to ATT. Look for something similar to that with your computers. Delete the entries for the mobile broadband connection from your Network Manager also.

9 Posts

October 31st, 2010 10:00

By the way, the isatap adapaters I listed both have the yellow exclamation points beside them. This could be the problem, right? So I disabled them both, thinking that might help in some way. But it didn't. I wanted to uninstall them, but was afraid they might be important. I just really don't know what to do.

9 Posts

October 31st, 2010 10:00

Thanks for your help. I really am a novice when it comes to computer mechanics, software and hardware. So I apologize for taking up so much of your time.

I looked for something similar to the PCMCIA card in Device Manager. PCMCIA card was definitely not listed, and I didn't see anything similar. Are there any other names it may be listed under? Also, I looked under Network Adapters, and all that's listed is: Broadcom Netlink, Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN mini-card, Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #58 and isatap.{6DF12D36-A9D8-4BBF-886B-7E94C34017FE}. Should I delete one of those? I really have no clue what should/should not be listed in my Device Manager.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 31st, 2010 19:00

aha, those could very well be the culprit and may be left over from your mobile broadband days.

read http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsmobileactivesync/thread/448cd860-3d62-4319-bca9-8d578daf3a92

apparently ISATAP can disable network cards

scroll all the way to the bottom and and try the answer by Jibz31

No Events found!