Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

July 5th, 2008 08:00

Inspiron 1525 'no audio output device installed'?

I have seen this problem in other forums but no solution to my problem. All was working fine untill Vista did an automatic update. I have seen on other forums that you just need to update the drivers but in my case the hardware is not seen by the laptop, all the sound devices listed are "Intel (R) High Definition Audio HDMI" Has this audio card been renamed in the update? As the drivers on the recovery disk are Sigmatel?????

Any help would be appreciated before I launch this laptop through the window!!!!! LOL

Thanks, from a very frustrated new Dell coustomer

2.4K Posts

July 5th, 2008 09:00

Hi

Sigmatel driver for Windows vista 32-bit

From Chris

My computer
Dell Dimension 1100
Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3
512 MB of Ram
Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 256MB
Intel Celeron CPU 2.53GHz
Dell E196FP
HDD WDC WD800BB-75JCO 80GB C:
HDD Samsung SV2042H 20GB F:
TSSTcorp CDRWDVD TS-H492C D:
LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-851S E:
Linksys Wireless-G WUSB54GS With SpeedBooster
Logitech Cordless Desktop EX 90
Logitech Cordless Click Plus Rechargeable Optical Mouse
Mozilla Firefox 3.0
Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1

My Security Software
Avanquest SystemSuite 8 Professional
Windows Defender

July 5th, 2008 12:00

Thanks Chris but this did not work, object not found!

I think what has happened is vista has renamed the device so any time I try to install a driver the hardware is not recognised.

I have managed to get the soundcard to be recognised as a generic soundcard but I'm not getting any sound.

Everytime I uninstall the drivers windows automaticly searches and installs a generic driver, how can I stop this?

There must be an easy way !!!!

I feel there is no point in a format and reinstall of the OS as the service pack will do the same thing again.

Anyone had this problem?

July 5th, 2008 16:00

Just for information, a restore to factory settings will not work so if you have this problem don't bother with that!

3.6K Posts

July 5th, 2008 20:00

I helped a gentleman last week with the same problem the driver has become corrupt.Open control panel and uninstall sigmatel from sound option,now go into device manager and uninstall sigma tel high audio codec from sound,video and game controllers.

Now re-boot system(make sure both have been uninstalled first),when system boots back up windows will detect it and install the windows driver,go to dells download and driver page and install the sigma tel driver,and re-boot system again.This should get everything up and running again.

July 6th, 2008 15:00

Thanks for that but still no joy!

I think Vista has renames the device so nothing else seema to work. When I try to load the drivers I am just told the object is not present, there is no trace of sigmatel on the laptop just a generic audio device.

Back this goes to Dell, so dissapointed, after seeing how many other people have had problems with Vista updates too, think I will go back to XP. I should have done more research into Vista before getting this OS.

Why sell an OS that has so many problems?

Well the whole hour that this laptop worked was impressive but not impresive enough!

Cheers for the help!

3.6K Posts

July 6th, 2008 20:00

Your welcome for the help,but are you willing to try one more option before sending it back?...

July 8th, 2008 10:00

I have been in touch with Dell who tried all sorts of things via remote assistance,  we even did a format & installed windows again from scratch .........  still no joy!

The problem is that Vista update had renamed the audio hardware so no amount of reinstalling drivers will work, even after the reinstall of windows!

Solution is a new motherboard ......... Dell should be calling tomorrow to fix this.

I have to say they were most helpful, just a shame they don't work weekends as I wouldn't have spent the whole weekend in a tizzz!

Cheers for the advice folks, most appreciated!

3.6K Posts

July 8th, 2008 14:00

Glad it is working out and being fixed.
No Events found!