Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 15th, 2012 07:00

Inspiron 1545 disc driver not recognised and recovery D drive reads as full

I would be very grateful for any help- my disc driver does not recognise any disc on my laptop. If I insert a disc, there is a whirring noise, but no messages on the computer and if I look in start/computer, there is no sign of the disc. I have uninstalled the disc driver per the instructions in troubleshooting, but with no improvement.

Also, my Recovery D drive reads as full, even though I empty it as instructed.

I use Windows 7 Professional. 

Thanks for any help.

October 15th, 2012 07:00

Hi,

Please check if the DVD drive is detected in BIOS. To access BIOS, restart PC. Press F2 at Dell logo. When the BIOS utility appears, expand General and select System information. Check the device listed next to Fixed Bay Device.

If the DVD drive is detected, exit BIOS. When the system boots to windows. Try this Microsoft fix-it: http://bit.ly/SY0y2d or you can also try the steps on this Microsoft article: http://bit.ly/RwTAoW

Also, click Start button >> type devmgmt.msc in the search box and press Enter. Expand the list for DVD/CD-ROM drives and share the name of the device model with me.

As far as the Recovery D drive is concerned, check if there are any folders of Windows Automatic Backup. These folders are usually listed as the Computer name or your name. You may have to delete the content of those folders. Prior to deleting them, ensure that you have backed up the files.

Hope this helps.
Keep me posted with the status. 

October 15th, 2012 14:00

Hello Manpreet C and thank you for your reply.

The DVD drive is detected in BIOS. I then ran the microsoft fix-it and

this gave me the mixed message that the device was not found, but no

problems were detected!

The device model is TSST corpDVD+-RW TS-L633B.

Can you be a bit more specific please about how to check the folders of Windows Automatic Backup.

Many thanks,

Sazzafromlkq

October 16th, 2012 07:00

Hi,

1. Click Start Start button and Type regedit in the Search box and click OK. 
  2. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Yes.
  3. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry sub-key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

4. In the right pane, click 'UpperFilters'. 
  5. Note: You may also see an 'UpperFilters.bak' registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click 'UpperFilters' only. If you do not see the 'UpperFilters' registry entry, you still might have to remove the 'LowerFilters' registry entry. 
  6. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  7. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.
  8. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  9. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  10. Exit Registry Editor.
  11. Restart the computer.

if the DVD drive does not appear, try to update the firmware from this link: http://dell.to/RPeyg7

Backups are saved in this format: \ \ Backup Set  Backup Set 2012-02-04 163200. You would right-click the folder named Backup Set 2012-02-04 163200 to delete that backup. 

Hope this helps.
Please revert for any further queries.

3.8K Posts

May 30th, 2013 14:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                

No Events found!