Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 20th, 2012 11:00

Inspiron 17r SE (7720) Bios does not have Intel Smart Response Technology Option

Is anyone able to help. I just purchased the i5 17r SE Inspiron last week and so far have been upgrading memory and the msata drive. I just purchased a Crucial 32GB MSata drive and slotted it into the motherboard. I downloaded instructions on how to run the Intel Smart Response Technology but seem to have hit a brick wall at step 2 (BIOS).

I do not have the 'Intel Smart Response Technology Option' under the Advanced tab in SATA Operation. I only have two other options. I have the latest A03 BIOS and do not know what to do next. 

Can anyone help please?

24 Posts

September 21st, 2012 16:00

Hi, I am also a UK user, I can only guess when I looked at the other postings and downloaded the Bios it was on the US site and not the UK one, I was certainly not aware of this, so far everything is working fine, my Laptop boots up in around 25 seconds with the mSATA SSD and all the other functions in the PC are working perfectly, bluettoth wifi etc. I am not going to reload the UK Bios so I will stick with things as they are unless I develop a fault further down the line.

24 Posts

September 22nd, 2012 04:00

Thats excellent, it is really an impressive increase in performance, especially boot up time. I have queried Tech Support regarding using A08 so i they come back with any issues I will let you know but so far I have not come across any issues. I was getting concerned initially about getting the mSATA to work but the BIOS seems to have sorted it.

24 Posts

September 20th, 2012 16:00

Check your bios on the dell site, the current bios for the 17r SE is A08, secondly re-flash the BIOS and re-boot, go back into the bios and load the defaults and try and set the BIOS ti the Intel setting then save the settings and re-boot then run the Intel software and set up the MSAT software.

4 Posts

September 21st, 2012 10:00

Hi there thanks for the response. I noticed that the bios versions were different between the UK and the US.

I should have mentioned I am UK based. Our latest BIOS is A03 (I downloaded from the website, it said I was trying to use the same BIOS). I suppose my next question would be.....

Can I use the A08 American BIOS on my Dell 7720? They seem to be identical.......

4 Posts

September 22nd, 2012 02:00

Cheers Colin, just after I posted I took the chance and have the same results as you. Laptop is up in 30 seconds (including logging in with password) and everything is sweet. Thanks for your time responding. Hopefully this will help others!

24 Posts

October 12th, 2012 04:00

Just a quick update, there appears to be issues with BIOS A08 and Dell are issuing an update at the end of the month to fix the various issues according to the support section, I know that in my instance the Mobility Centre button no longer operates (hardly a big issue as the windows button and X bring the program up anyway, another issue seems to be that you cannot backtrack to a previous BIOS version so if you have not done it so far then backup your current BIOS before upgrading.

24 Posts

October 13th, 2012 06:00

Couldnt agree more, I am more than happy with the laptop, I have noticed

critisicm of the build quality but I have found it excellent, I am

impressed with the boot speed since the mSATA has been installed and the

general performance of the computer is great so like you no complaints. Re

the BIOS yes I kicked myself once I upgraded and then realised I had not

backed it up but to be honest trading the mobility centre for the mSATA

option is a no brainer.

4 Posts

October 13th, 2012 06:00

Thanks for the update Colin. I like your last sentence.....A quick answer would be....I didn't backup and I have updated! I have the same issue as you that the mobility centre button doesn't do anything but as this is the first of me noticing in about 3 weeks then I don't think it will affect me much! I haven't noticed anything else at all being problematic, in fact I am very happy with the dell..

No Events found!