Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2012 09:00

Inspiron N7110 Won't Boot

I was reading an email and my computer turned off. Nothing was spilled on it, not dropped, no fizzle, just turned off and won't come back on. The computer isn't even 2 years old. Any suggestions please?

2.2K Posts

December 18th, 2012 10:00

Hi SherriMiller,

Welcome to the Community.

Please unplug the battery and the adaptor, press and hold power button for 10 seconds and then plugin the adaptor and turn on the computer. If you get light on the power button, we would be able to run a test on the computer to isolate the issue. You can run PSA diagnostics, please press and hold the “Fn” key while turning on the system.

During the test you would get a screen with solid colors at that time please press “Y”.

The test result should be an error code or beeps (if nothing comes up on the screen). Please keep me posted with the results.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

December 18th, 2012 11:00

Thanks, I'll check it out this evening. BTW, I'm very impressed about the free support. THANKS!

December 19th, 2012 06:00

Manshu, it worked! Thank you! Only thing is the diagnostics stopped at 95% so I'm not sure what the error was that caused the initial issue. Is it important to run the diagnostics again to determine the error since it's my computer is working well now?

4 Posts

December 19th, 2012 08:00

So yesterday I updated my N7110 BIOS to A13. During reboot, the system died. The power light comes on and radio light is on. It does flash through the three lights in upper right corner of keyboard. Fan is running fast and that's where it hangs. The screen is blank. Tried the above solution. Nothing. I'm freaking out now. Computer is 1.5 years old. Been using Dell's for 15 years and never once contacted support...never had a problem till now. Help!

2.2K Posts

December 19th, 2012 10:00

Hi,

@SherriMiller : I would suggest you to perform the diagnostics again.  

@TJsent : It seems to be an issue with the system board.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and name listed on the account so I may access your system records and keep you posted with the details. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

4 Posts

December 20th, 2012 12:00

Hi Manshu, I don't suppose there will be a quick fix for this problem.

Can you recommend a way to get data off the hard drive, I have a job this weekend and need what's on the HDD.

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 20th, 2012 13:00

Remove the hard drive, mount it in a 2.5" USB external case and attach it to a working system by USB -- copy the files you need to the working system's hard drive.

4 Posts

December 20th, 2012 13:00

@ejn63 WOW! Would have never thought of that. As far as you know, any 2.5" external case will work? Now if only I can find it locally. Thanks!!

1 Message

January 31st, 2013 19:00

I unplugged computer took battery out, held the power button for 10 seconds, left the battery out and plugged adaptor back in and attempted to hold "fn" key while turning it back on it just beeped 8 times again do I need a new screen?

2.2K Posts

February 1st, 2013 07:00

Hi trisha33,

Welcome to the Community.

8 beeps indicate LCD failure.

Beep Code Overview
Beeps Description Possible Cause
1 BIOS ROM checksum in progress or failure System board failure, covers BIOS corruption or ROM errors.
2 No Memory (RAM) detected Memory or Memory slot failure
  • chipset Error (North and South bridge error, DMA/IMR/Timer error)
  • Time-Of-Day Clock test failure
  • Gate A20 failure
  • Super I/O chip failure
  • Keyboard controller test failure
System board failure
4 Memory read / write failure Memory failure
5 Real Time Clock (RTC) power fail CMOS battery failure
6 Video BIOS test failure Video subsystem failure
7 CPU Cache test failure Processor failure
8 LCD LCD failure

LCD needs replacement to troubleshoot the issue.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

October 14th, 2013 17:00

I've gotten to the test but my keyboard won't press y none of my keys are working

1.5K Posts

October 16th, 2013 04:00

Hi needhelpwithmynewdell,

Please elaborate the issue you are facing with the system. Also share the system model and the operating system installed.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you.

1 Message

July 23rd, 2014 18:00

I'm having a very similar issue with my N7110.  It is clearly charging properly, however, when I try to turn it on it starts to boot up, then just turns off.  All that comes up is the Dell Logo for a split second before it shuts off again.

Has anyone had any luck?

4 Posts

July 24th, 2014 06:00

I ended up replacing the motherboard. It's working fine now. If you can do it yourself, boards are available for under $200 online, depending on how picky you are. I wanted a tested, certified board from a reputable reseller and it cost me $200. I've seen them on eBay for much less, but didn't want to risk it. It's not very complicated if you can follow the directions in the user manual.

Or you can send it to Dell and they'll do it for about $600. No, thanks.

August 18th, 2014 20:00

Hi Manshu.  My computer went to sleep one night and never woke up.  I tried the above test and it came back with:

Error code 2000-01-0142

Validation 4352

Msg: Hard Drive 0 - S/N 6WS1598Y, self test unsuccessful. Status = 7

it asked me if I want to continue testing.  Im just not sure what to do me and my fiance both use this computer for our schooling, we do it all online, and it loaded 93% when it told me this. Please help!

No Events found!