Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

July 21st, 2011 21:00

L501X keyboard gets stuck

Hi,

I just started having this problem yesterday. Not sure what causes the problem but occasionally one or two of the keys will get stuck on the software level. What I mean is, I'm not pressing the key, the key presses and depresses normally, it doesn't get stuck physically at all, but any time I click something that brings up a cursor it will just type the same letter over and over like someone's holding down the key. At first it was doing it with the "7" key and then with "6" and "Y" at the same time. The only thing that resolves it is a restart.

My suspicions are that it's happening from being overheated. It's around 90 and very humid in NYC the past couple days. The laptop sits on a cooling pad but I'm not sure it's helping (refer to my other forum post about the battery design). I rarely type with the actual keyboard (usually a bluetooth one) and I keep it covered with the slip it came with. I never eat or drink near it so I know I didn't get something on it. It is possible that for the short time I was using the actual keyboard it may have gotten dog hair or dust in it. 

Has anyone else had this issue and know or have an idea what's causing it? 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 22nd, 2011 02:00

DarkEyez,

You said...

At first it was doing it with the "7" key and then with "6" and "Y" at the same time.

My suspicions are the a crumb may have gotten under the keys. If it's the 6 key, press the 5,t,y keys at the same time and blow a little air and the crumb will come out. I accidentally dropped salt from a pretzel and that was the easiest way to get it out. Pressing 3 keys aroung the stuck key and blowing near the keys helps to get the item out.

Rick

No Events found!