Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

8 Posts

August 5th, 2005 18:00

Latitude CPx - Cooling Fan Not Working

Just acquired a Latitude CPx, appears to work normal, but overheats under the CPU.  Cooling fan not working.     4 screws missing, suggesting somebody has been in it ahead of me.   Where can I find basic hardware instructions to open this computer up and check that this cooling fan is actually connected?       If it is connected, is it replaceable?

Regards,

Terry Smythe
Winnipeg, Canada

8 Posts

August 6th, 2005 02:00

Further to my previous message, I became courageous and opened the computer. I found the cooling fan properly connected. So, what is the possibility this fan is defective? Or, the possibility its circuit is defective? Or, the possibility nothing is wrong, but this fan is temperature controlled, operating only when a high temperature is reached? Thoughts of others? Regards, Terry Smythe Winnipeg, Canada smythe@shaw.ca

3K Posts

August 6th, 2005 22:00

@paud122 wrote:
 Or, the possibility nothing is wrong, but this fan is temperature controlled, operating only when a high temperature is reached?

Congratulations.  You've just solved your own issue.  Details on how the fan works can be found in the User Guide.  The Dell Diagnostics (included with all systems at no charge) are what you use to test for proper functionality of the fan and trip sensor.  Details on the Diags are also in the User Guide.

No Events found!