This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2015 19:00

N7110 No Video and No Beeps

Specs:

- i5

- 4GB

- cannot boot into Windows 7

Good evening,

I am working on a friend's laptop.  Originally, the laptop had a bad power adapter.  They heard a "popping" sound from what sounded like it came from the laptop itself.  Laptop went dead.  They bought a new power adapter but it won't even light up the LED's on the laptop itself.  The new adapter definitely works.  

Of course it's used for taxes, home business info, etc.  So they ask me to look at it since I have 10+ years in IT and can do most PC repair stuff without batting an eye.  Well, here I am.  Laptop is not under warranty AND it's still being paid on as it was financed by Dell.

Here is what I did to troubleshoot:

1) Verified power adapter got power and works with another Dell laptop.

2) Verified laptop will not power on.

3) Removed bottom screws, plate, battery, etc.

4) Removed keyboard, screws, and top plate.

5) Found a lots of black markings on the motherboard, specifically at the circuitry near the battery port.

Determined it needed a motherboard and maybe other stuff but wasn't sure.  Bought a new motherboard with a 90 day warranty from CHINA on eBay.  Also bought a new keyboard since a key was missing and new fan since it was in rough shape.

The repair steps:

1) Removed old motherboard and took off heatsink and CPU.

2) Reseat CPU on new motherboard, added Arctic 5, Reinstalled heatsink.

3) Added new fan and buttoned everything up.  Triple checked connections

4) THERE IS LIFE!  Power supply now feeds power to the laptop as LED's are lit.

5) Power button is pressed, nothing on the video but the fan spins up and sounds healthy.  No caps lock LED.  Hooked up to a monitor DOES NOT WORK.  No beeping, nothing.  I figure maybe the CPU isn't working so I try reseating it.

6) Tear it all down again.  Reseat CPU, new thermal paste, reinstall heatsink, button it back up.  SAME THING.  This time it's not fully reassembled.  

I tried doing the D + Power Button to test the LCD.  Looks like the screen does something, but it's dim and doesn't last long.  I can't see if it tries to do anything in detail, but I notice a little bit of light omitted from the side.  Tried discharging any static.  

Normally, I would throw in another CPU or something, but I don't have spare parts for this laptop.  How can I continue to troubleshoot this?  Maybe a bad motherboard?  

I have $110 in parts into this thing so far.  The entire laptop goes for around 400 on eBay.  I just don't want to be throwing money at it without thoroughly testing.  Any help is appreciated.

2.4K Posts

January 31st, 2015 06:00

I would suggest you cut your losses and buy a new computer for it seems that  what  happened fried more then just your motherboard. You will just end up throwing more money at it until you spend what you could have bought on a replacement. Sorry if that is not what you want to here, but that is just my 2 cents.

3 Posts

January 31st, 2015 06:00

Looking into buying a CPU on ebay. Hate to throw parts at it, but I don't think it's the board.

3 Posts

February 3rd, 2015 11:00

Your opinion would make sense from a business standpoint.  The owners already bought a replacement but want this up and running.  I have about $50 that I'm willing to invest into this junk laptop until I tell them to cut their losses.  I guess I'll buy a CPU since the support here is rather sparse.

Thanks.

1 Message

May 10th, 2017 19:00

you fix it ? i have the same problem :(

No Events found!