Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2013 15:00

Overheating, sleep mode and wireless issues-Dell L521x

I recently had to have my L521x's hard drive repaired after it started to fail, and I believe it had to do with overheating. 

Although I do use the laptop for games, it's not its main use. I've experienced overheating both while playing a resource-intensive game and also while just browsing the internet. I usually keep my laptop on a set of four pillars ~1 inch high on top of a desk so it has space for ventilation, but I also use it in my bed. I never leave it on the mattress or covers. The way I hold it is kind of hard to explain, but it always has at least a few inches of space underneath for ventilation. Even then, it gets very hot. 

On top of that, my laptop will not stay in sleep mode with the lid closed. It goes to sleep for a couple of hours or so, then turns back on and runs the hard drive continuously. When I open the lid, the screen turns on directly to the login screen. No loading or anything. 

On top of all that, the wireless connection is basically useless. The two rooms I use the laptop in are probably 10-25 feet away from the router. Both the router and modem are brand new, and my phone and tablets have no problem connecting to the wireless. 

In the closer room, the computer usually can find the network and connect, with full bars. But as soon as I actually try and use it, it drops to 2-3 bars and goes crazy. It will randomly disconnect from the network and say that there are no networks available. When I try and troubleshoot the problem, it resets the wireless adapter. If that doesn't work, the troubleshooter says there is nothing more it can do. Usually if I reset the adapter a few times it will finally find the network again.

In the farther room, it does the same thing except without ever initially connecting at all. 

I've tried everything, from disabling firewalls to disabling the virtual wifi adapters. Nothing has seemed to help. I've resorted to using ethernet cables, with which I've had no issues so far.

So my questions are: Is there any program or anything that could be causing the overheating/sleep mode issues, or is it a hardware defect? And I know that the L521x model has been reported to have wifi issues, does that mean I'm just SOL, or is it a wireless card issue, software problem, etc.?

1.5K Posts

April 22nd, 2013 01:00

Hi GTWillis,

I would suggest you to run hardware diagnostics on the system for hardware functionality, by following the steps below:

• Reboot and press F12 to enter the Boot Menu
  • When the boot device list appears, highlight Diagnostics and press Enter
  • The computer begins to run the Pre-boot System Assessment, a series of embedded diagnostics that perform initial testing on your system board, keyboard, hard drive, and display
  • In case any hardware component is bad, you will get a corresponding error

You may update the system BIOS from the link below:

http://dell.to/ZfQ1IF

Before updating BIOS please ensure that:
*Battery is 10%> or >10% charged
*Battery charger should be connected
*No external devices (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) should be connected.
*All other programs should be closed and documents saved

Please share the Operating System, Wireless Card and Video Card installed on the system. To check the wireless card/video card, you may follow the steps below:

• Press ‘Windows’ key + R on ‘Desktop’ screen.
  • Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in run box and press ‘Enter’.
  • Click > sign next to ‘Network adapters’/ ’Display adapters’.

Keep me posted with the findings. I will be glad to assist further.

9 Posts

July 29th, 2013 03:00

hi gtwillis

I wonder if your wifi network card problems are due to clashes with other devices using the same channels?  Perhaps check that you don't have a problem between tablets, phones, etc. 

My new Dell can work between 2.4 GHz and 5.2 GHz spectrums, however, I also have a 5.2 GHz wireless HDMI repeater in the same room, so I've disabled the 5.2 GHz spectrum on the Dell wifi card for the moment to give everything a fighting chance.  Similarly, there are 16 frequency channels available in the 2.4 GHz spectrum, but make sure perhaps that 2 devices aren't both hard coded to use Channel 1 for instance.

9 Posts

July 29th, 2013 03:00

Sorry, 5.8 Ghz...

No Events found!