Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 6th, 2014 20:00

Precision m4800 very slow compared to similar laptop

My new Precision m4800 runs about 1 tenth the speed of similar notebooks we have.  Novabench gave it a score of 330 but a similar laptop I have scored 1050.  This looks like a bus issue. 

Everything that requires memory transfer is about 10 percent the speed of a similar laptop.

I used NovaBench to test how my new m4800 is 1 tenth the speed of my older Toshiba laptop.  My m4800 is a faster clock and more memory but still really really slow.

I have all the latest drivers form the Dell website installed

I think it is a bus driver memory driver thing.  Files copied to the same hard drive work at about 300 mb a second.  All other CPU, memory, and file transfer operations are 1 tenth the speed as measured by NovaBench   I also have the latest bios installed 

SOLVED

The power supply to my docking station was not the right amperage for this laptop. This put the memory in slow mode . The power supply was from my previous laptop but I kept the same docking station. With a newer power supply 9 AMPS the problem went away immediately. TRY THIS Run on battery and see if your laptop gets faster all of a sudden. Reboot to see the results.

6 Posts

August 18th, 2014 12:00

SOLVED The power supply to my docking station was not the right amperage for this laptop. This put the memory in slow mode. The power supply was from my previous laptop but I kept the same docking station. With a newer power supply 9 AMPS the problem went away immediately. TRY THIS Run on battery and see if your laptop gets faster all of a sudden. Reboot to see the results.

August 1st, 2014 11:00

Bruddah,

I'm having this issue too.  My company has a large account with Dell, and we've got a few dozen M4800's.  All have i7-4800MQ CPU's.  For a while, they were, fine, but I believe our purchase configuration was changing without us being notified (this isn't the first time that would have happened), as suddenly we've had about 12 out of 18 of our laptops have this issue.

We've been able to solve it by installing Intel chipset drivers and software and upgrading the BIOS.  Sometimes it takes two BIOS flashes to get it to take.  Sometimes, reinstalling the entire OS will do the trick.

However, I now have a laptop that refuses to start performing as it should, with all the above except reinstalling the OS.  It has a lot of software on it that takes a long time to install, and we shouldn't be having this issue.  Diagnostics always turn up fine.  Our symptoms are, it being incredibly slow, audio stuttering, and the CPU getting a WEI of 2.8 instead of ~7.7.  Dell ProSupport, which we have purchased many a warranty for, has not found a solution.  I'll keep calling and bugging them, and will post if they find an actual fix.

Hopefully some of the above helps you.  I'm open to hearing a suggestion as well.

2 Posts

August 18th, 2014 12:00

I too am experiencing the same issues ( incredibly slow, audio stuttering, and the CPU getting a WEI of 2.8 instead of ~7.7) with the i7-4600M series processor. So far 3 units, all shipped from the same order are showing the same symptoms. I checked the BIOS version and it is the newest (A08). One symptom I am also seeing is the F12 menu (one time boot menu) locks up once in a while and you are unable to select a boot device.

2 Posts

August 18th, 2014 13:00

Holy ***.

3 Posts

September 3rd, 2014 15:00

I will set the boot menu timer to a value higher than 0 sec. I was getting this condition while connected to docking station, as well as removing it and running from battery only, I also tried laptop with power supply only. As a follow up note, I shut down the computer and when I tried rebooting after about 10 minutes, it booted just fine. Not to mention it is now running extremely fast.

3 Posts

I have been fighting with Dell for over a month and a half over this M4800. I just saw your post today. The only problem now is that it can't find a boot device. So I can either have it boot or I can have a fast processor. I am afraid to contact tech support (not really) because I know they are just going to have me reinstall the OS from scratch (again) to "see if that works".

6 Posts

There is a key sequence that you can use on the laptop to bring up a boot menu. This will let you find a boot device to use. Try this as well. Disconnect ALL external monitors and docking stations you have. This will let you use the laptop keyboard to the boot menus etc.

6 Posts

September 3rd, 2014 16:00

In reply to jglassnwc on 3 Sep 2014 4:44 PM So was the power supply the problem and was your solution the 9 amp power supply or have you encountered a different variant of the power problem that was fixed by removing your docking station. Did your battery only scenario go faster? FYI in my original problem the 9 amp power supply fixed it both docked and undocked as thought the power supply was the only part of the problem. We have some other m4800's and we are wondering if it is a power supply plus docking combination that leads to low power mode. Right now we lean towards power supply only.

3 Posts

September 5th, 2014 07:00

Sorry, The site was read only yesterday and I couldn't answer.

The power supply was the only problem. The docking station was not a factor as I had improved performance with just the power supply and with the power supply going through the docking station.

8 Posts

September 1st, 2015 18:00

Thank you!! I had to buy a new cord while on vacation and it kept saying wrong power, but it does recharge the battery. I was going crazy since I got home with how darn slow my computer was running and Netflix would barely work. It was strange since I bought this M4800 for speed and reliability. Once I read this random post, (thank goodness I found it), I switched back to one of my original cords and immediately the computer started acting normal again. I did not even have to restart it. Can anyone give more info about how the computer switches into slow mode with the wrong power cord?

8 Posts

September 14th, 2015 00:00

Update-Even though I have two Dell power cords 19.5 and 9.23 both of them, my computer is still giving me an error message every day that I have the wrong cord and slowing down after so many hours of use. I now have to unplug the cord and work off the battery to get good performance. I have had many problems with Dell over the years, and I stopped buying them, and decided to try again and this is my 3rd replacement from the original buy due to DOA, and other problems with the first 3 computers, (yes you read that right three computers in 6 months that did not work correctly, nightmare).

1 Message

October 18th, 2017 05:00

I was having the same problem with my Dell M4800 not performing well. I came here but couldn't get any solution.

I have found the solution here;

www.dell.com/.../slow-performance-on-the-precision-m4800-with-intel-speedstep-enabled

Anyone having such problem should check it out.

No Events found!