Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 27th, 2012 12:00

Problem connecting my XPS15 laptop to my u2412m monitor via displayport

Hi Peoples,

I just received my new Dell UltraSharp u2412m monitor!

Now I try to connect my Dell XPS15 laptop (via its mini displayport connection) to my new monitor via a mini displayport to displayport cable.

Sadly it doesnt seem to connect and the monitor instantly goes into Power Save Mode...

What am I doing wrong here? Is this possible/compatible in the first place?

Thanks very much in advance!

Moris

Ps. the monitor instantly works with an old laptop via vga connection...Plug and play...

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 27th, 2012 15:00

Try using a different connection--hdmi would be best if the laptop has that. You can use a hdmi to dvi cable--same technology and those work. Those can be bought for less than $10.

3 Posts

June 8th, 2015 01:00

Did anyone find a fix for the original post?

My dell monitor 2415 came with a mini display cable and worked out of the box, the only problems being constantly having to change font size for some programs. After about 3 months I switched the xps on and it cannot detect the monitor so the monitor goes into sleep mode.

dell display manager does not load as it cant see the monitor.

NVidia control manager only seems to offer 3d settings

intel display does not see the monitor

any ideas?

2 Posts

January 28th, 2012 04:00

Thanks

Yeah, I could try that... Though both units have the displayport standard, which is superior to the hmdi - dvi connection. And I just bought a quite expensive displayport cable.

Im getting really agitated Dell is giving me NO help at all in this...

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

February 2nd, 2012 14:00

I suggest making sure that you have the most up to date video drivers installed on the notebook.   Download the latest version of the drivers, uninstall the current drivers then install the newly downloaded drivers.

This is an Optimus system, so the display port is controlled by the discreet Nvidia GPU, while the VGA port is controlled via Intel HD.  I suggest configuring the notebook to run on high performance when you plan on using the external monitor.

For more on Optimus please check out my article on the following link.

en.community.dell.com/.../19405027.aspx

Selecting a Preferred Graphics Processor

Open the NVIDIA Control Panel

* Select Manage 3D Settings

* Under the Global Settings tab, select High-performance NVIDIA processor

* Click Apply

Please let me know if this helps at all.

TB

1 Message

February 17th, 2012 10:00

OK, I know this thread is a couple weeks old and hopefully you figured it out by now... You may need to go into the configuration menu of the monitor itself (OSD) and manually select the Display Port Input... Hypothetically it should auto detect if it is the only cable plugged into it and it is set to auto on the monitor, but you know how auto anything can be at times... Try this, good luck!!!

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

February 24th, 2012 19:00

I've had the same problem since day 1.  I think this link is the best answer I've seen so far.  I'm looking at how to disable HDMI to prevent the scenario brushesbee.com has described very well.  There are some wrong answers in the thread, so focus on Brushesbee.com

en.community.dell.com/.../19868960.aspx

1 Message

February 16th, 2013 09:00

I have the same problem, although I use an HDMI to DVI cable. My XPS 15 laptop can't connect to the u2412m monitor. The monitor just goes into Power Save Mode.

A different external monitor works fine with the XPS laptop (using the same cable). A different laptop works fine with the u2412m monitor (using the same cable). So it looks like a compatibility problem.

I solved the problem by buying a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. With this cable everything works fine for me.

This is to show that a different cable may do the trick. Maybe for you it is the other way around, and that it only works with an HDMI to DVI cable. However, this is just a guess!

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

February 17th, 2013 09:00

There are several manufacturers of Mini Display Port adapters.  I have no association with Dell and given the myriad of other problems I've had with this Dell XPS-15, I am unlikely to purchase another Dell product.  After buying the Dell Mini Display Port adapter, which became available months and months after I bought the machine, I have never had another issue.  I don't know why the Apple adapter worked sometimes/sometimes not, but the Dell adapter has been 100% rock solid.

1 Message

March 19th, 2013 00:00

I had some problem.  I purchased a HDMI-DVI-D 2m cable and works fine now (RM40).  I think the mini display port does not drive enough power through the combination of adaptor and cable.

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

June 8th, 2015 08:00

The OP is several years old and applies to the XPS 15, circa 2011.  The solution for that old hardware on Windows 7 was to get either a Dell miniport display cable or one from Amazon as posted in this thread.  I used both and they were flawless.  The problem was the only miniport display cable widely available at that time was from Apple and it worked in certain conditions, but not all.

3 Posts

June 8th, 2015 11:00

My miniport display cable came with the monitor from Dell, I don't think they supplied an apple cable.

like I said it worked for 2 months and now its not recognising the display.

I think it is some conflict between the intel  and the NVidia and dell display manager.

I have got to try another type of cable yet

May 18th, 2016 09:00

Hi there,

I had same issue with my XPS 15 9550 and Dell UltraSharp U2412M.

I just bought HDMI <> DVI-D cable.

And issue has been solved.

No Events found!