Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 17th, 2011 10:00

Sudden battery failure?

Everything about my Dell XPS M1330 seems normal.  The BIOS is up to date, system clock okay, battery reports fully charged in the BIOS in my OS and on the battery itself (the LED test), my BIOS/OS detects my AC adapter and it seems my battery charges normally.  The BIOS says my battery is reaching the end of its usable life which has been its status for as long as I can remember.  I just used my battery last night and I still get around 2 hours of lifetime out of it, if I'm not doing anything CPU intensive. 

My problem is that when I disconnect my AC adapter, the computer will shut down and not use the battery.  This happens if I'm at the boot menu, in the BIOS, or booted up in my OS.  This first occurred this morning.  I talked to a dell support agent and she told me it was necessary to replace my battery. I have had this battery for just under three years, so it would make sense that it would eventually stop holding a charge...but does it make sense the battery would suddenly malfunction? And if so, wouldn't it be detected in the BIOS?  

I bought a "replacement battery" off amazon a few months ago and it didn't last two weeks. A battery from dell will cost me two hundred dollars, and at that point it's not even worth the investment. My warranty expires in two weeks, and something breaks every four months or so. 

What's happening to my laptop?  

Edit: I put the "replacement battery" PU556 back in the laptop and the BIOS reports that the battery is operating normally. Yet my laptop will not operate on its power supply. How frustrating.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

April 17th, 2011 13:00

Most likely there is a problem with the power circuity, requiring a replacement of the system board. Contact Dell ASAP to get warranty coverage. It would be good if you could try the batteries in another laptop.

First you need to determine if the batteries are really OK. Can you test them in another Dell? It doesn't need to be a 1330, but any Dell that uses the same battery. If the batteries charge, but don't work, then Dell should do the repairs. When charged, what happens when you press the battery button? How many lights are on? What about when you hold the test button in? The first test shows charge level (more is good), and the second shows battery condition (more is bad).

A battery can indeed fail very rapidly, usually because of one bad cell. The battery from Amazon should have a warranjty. If it indeed is bad. contact Amazon.

Dell may have you jump through hoops before they agree to repair the system, but don't give up.

April 17th, 2011 13:00

On the DELL OEM battery, when I hold the test button in, the first test shows full lights as does the second test.  I assume that means my battery is poor condition.  However, I did the same test on the "replacement" battery and both tests return one light.  (This battery only has 8% charge, as I haven't used it recently) Neither will allow my system to operate without AC power.

I'm trying to get a good idea of what is happening before calling dell, because the last technician pushed me off the phone when I told her my battery was "reaching the end of its usable life."  Maybe if I'm lucky someone will own a dell laptop that uses this particular battery. It would be nice to find out once and for all whether it's the batteries or my system board.

Unfortunately, the battery I bought from Amazon did not have a warranty. I wasn't paying close enough attention when I bought it; a mistake I will not repeat.

April 18th, 2011 09:00

Does this look like a viable replacement? External Link

Edit: Hong.... Kong...

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

April 18th, 2011 13:00

The second battery test shows one light for each 10% or so reduction in condition. When you tested the battery was it in or out of the laptop. My 3+ year old 6-cell Dell shows 5 lights on the first test, and three for the second. However, when the battery is tested while in the laptop, I get 5 and 5, just like you. I still get about 1.5 hours life. Recharge the new battery and run the tests, as It may be OK. You will need to know if the battery is OK when you call Dell.

I still suspect that the power circuity is bad. Usual cause is breaking of the solder connections between the socket and the system board.

April 18th, 2011 19:00

I just noticed when I have the battery plugged my battery LED is blue, then flashes red four consecutive times, and repeats.  I can't find a clear description of what this might mean.  This occurs when the computer is powered either on or off.

I get the same result for the built-in-test on my batteries whether they are plugged in or unplugged.

Edit: Thanks for all your help. I love communities :emotion-1:

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

April 18th, 2011 21:00

This light pattern is usually an indication the battery is on life-support, and is soon to die. Does the replacement battery do the same?

April 18th, 2011 22:00

The replacement battery does not cause the flashing light. That battery hasn't worked for months, while my Dell battery did.

April 29th, 2011 08:00

New battery off amazon, same exact problem. Dell is replacing my motherboard for free, even though my warranty expires tomorrow. 

What do you think guys, should I buy the one year renewal? 212 bucks seems like alot for one more year of guaranteed life. For the record, this XPS M1330 has a terrible track record; it's a wonder they're even offering to renew.

May 4th, 2011 10:00

Motherboard replaced, now all three batteries work.

Yay Dell! I renewed my warranty for 1 yr out of satisfaction. 

No Events found!