Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 21st, 2014 05:00

Touch Screen not working on Inspiron 7737

I've had my Inspiron 17 for 4 months and noticed today that the touchscreen isn't working.

No idea how long ago the problem started as I generally use the old desktop/touchpad combination

When checking PC settings it now says 'no pen or touch input is available for this display.'

Any ideas

Thanks?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 21st, 2014 05:00

First thing to do is verify that you purchased a model with a touchscreen - is there a glass covering over the screen itself?

2 Posts

February 21st, 2014 06:00

Thanks for that, truly helpful

3 Posts

April 7th, 2014 22:00

First thing to do is verify that you purchased a model with a touchscreen - is there a glass covering over the screen itself?

This type of condescending attitude is why people end up paying other people to fix their problems. To OP.. I have the same system and have the same problem. Have you found a solution yet? And yes, if you read the OP, and I'm going to say the same thing, It worked fine for the first few weeks. You don't just open up a brand new laptop with a touchscreen installed, and four months later decide.. hmmm, maybe ill try touching the screen to see what happens. Anyway, I digress, I checked the device manager and there are no conflicts and despite having actually touched the screen and verified, to my gf's annoyance usually while shes gaming and I opened up random windows for her to have to close out repeatedly, when I check the "PC Info" for the system it now says "No pen and touch input is available for this display".

2 Posts

April 17th, 2014 11:00

I'm now in the same boat --- touchscreen not working... and I've only had my Inspiron 17 for 2 DAYS.  Has DELL put out a patch for this???

2 Posts

April 18th, 2014 05:00

I contacted DELL Support and they remotely logged in to my laptop via Click2Fix+.  After almost 90 minutes, the touch screen still wasn't fixed and they are replacing my new laptop.

Seeing all the other postings online about this Inspiron 17 with touch screen technology makes me very concerned that I'll have the same problem with my replacement laptop... especially during a client meeting.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 18th, 2014 06:00

Nothing condescending was meant with the first reply.  If you've done any kind of support at all, you know to check these things - it's very often the case that people don't understand what they've purchased and that many items like touchscreens are NOT standard equipment.  I've seen many cases where people assume that they have purchased equipment they in fact have not - and there's no sense troubleshooting a part that isn't there.

2 Posts

June 15th, 2014 11:00

This worked for me...

(http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%208%20RTM/nosp/Fix415636/9200/free/454040_intl_x64_zip.exe)

It's a hotfix from microsoft for the touch screen...

Install and restart.

I hope this work for you guys...

2 Posts

June 16th, 2014 21:00

Just tried this hotfix on my Dell Inspiron 7737 for the same touchscreen issues. Didn't work for me, says "this update is not applicable to your computer".  Hope someone can figure it soon, I'm at a loose end.

108 Posts

July 12th, 2014 13:00

I have similar issues in that my touchscreen on my 7737 decided to vanish after a Windows update, its seriously starting to cheese me off now as the laptop is only 2 weeks old and if there are actually any Dell employees viewing these threads they obviously don't want to answer them which makes me suspicious they know what the problems are but they don't have a solution. I'll have a go at fixing this problem on my computer myself IF SOMEBODY AT DELL ACTUALLY FESSES UP WHERE THE DRIVERS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE FOR THIS DEVICE!

1 Message

July 13th, 2014 16:00

I'm adding my voice to this complaint so I can be notified when a fix is found.

The last two Windows updates have killed my 7737 touchscreen. After the first, removing the driver completely fixed the problem as Windows apparently automatically reinstalled and it came back on line. This time, I've wasted about 3 hours of my life trying to run this down. It's broken (software not hardware, I'm sure) and someone at Dell is responsible to fix it.

Please get on this and make a fix that is robust.

108 Posts

July 13th, 2014 16:00

The loss of touchscreen functionality seems to be a symptom of USB driver issues as my 7737 is also giving me device manager errors with the Microsoft Nano Tranceiver v1.0 for my mouse even though I've managed to get the mouse working again although with some missing functionality. Reading through some background stuff it looks like its to do with Microsoft providing drivers for the Intel USB hub for Windows 8/8.1 and that Intel are no longer updating these.

3 Posts

July 14th, 2014 11:00

3You would think so, but the Dell tech disabled and uninstalled the USB drivers snd all they did was force me to reinstall my whole OS because I lost all USB funtions because the Dell tech remotely deleted all the registry keys for thd usb.  Reloading OS did not fix touchscreen so I doubt the USB has anything to do with it as the touchscreen still doesnt work after reloading all USB.  

However, I did find out that there is not a digitizer driver because its native to Windows 8.  That being said, everyone agrees that all this started after a windows update so most likely this problem is way outside the wheelhouse of the dell techs reading down their "How to destroy someones computer remotely" checklist.

Hey Dell, 3 months later and im still waiting for my RMA.  Stop thinking you can fix this and get some real tech help from Windows devs.

108 Posts

July 17th, 2014 00:00

Unless somebody from Dell cares to respond about this one I'm going to be RMA'ing my machine for a full refund as something that is only two weeks old should work properly!!

The lack of official responses about this is absolutely pathetic, are you not able to read English, do I need to post in another language?

3 Posts

July 18th, 2014 16:00

Good luck with that. I've been trying for 2 months to get an RMA.. They keep Saying they Want to get another tech to remote in again. I dont know what another tech Can do remotely that is more thurough than a wipe and reload of the OS. Definately bad form on Dell tech support.

July 25th, 2014 18:00

Well folks, here is my feeling:

This is a hardware problem.

I received my 7737 late in April, set it up, powered it up and got a "no boot device found" message.

Pulled the drive, installed another drive, booted Linux Mint 17 x64 off a USB stick. and 40 minutes had

a fully functional Linux system working. I spoke with Dell Support and they sent me an install DVD.

With that I was able to get Win8.1 installed and running. The touchscreen was working fin with both OSs's.

Lately I noticed a lot of [Linux] syslog entries regardiing a faulty USB hub/port:

Jul 25 06:22:36 kaitain kernel: [  766.034783] usb 2-7: new full-speed USB device number 15 using xhci_hcd
Jul 25 06:22:36 kaitain kernel: [  766.034974] usb 2-7: Device not responding to set address.
Jul 25 06:22:37 kaitain kernel: [  766.238823] usb 2-7: Device not responding to set address.
Jul 25 06:22:37 kaitain kernel: [  766.442575] usb 2-7: device not accepting address 15, error -71
Jul 25 06:22:37 kaitain kernel: [  766.442677] hub 2-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 7

NON-STOP entries; constantly repeating.

Today i installed the Win8.1 disk, looked in device manager and found (summary):

USB controller error message.
    Error Code 43
    Request for the USB Decriptor failed.
    Port_#007.Hub_#002
    Driver: Microsoft, dated 06/21/2006, version 6.3.9600.16442

SAME HUB/PORT combo. HOW can this be a DRIVER issue Dell Tech Support?

My 7737 is still under warranty and next week I will call Dell and request a replacement (refurb'd no doubt) laptop. I know...'...good luck with that".

I am very disapointed with this laptop with the failure of Win8.1 out of the box and now this.

Back in 2008 I purchased an XPS M1530 and it's been working perfectly - now as my firewall/router.

Really sad Dell.

No Events found!