Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

G

2 Posts

December 28th, 2007 20:00

TouchCheck for touchpad

I have a Vostro 1000 running XP Home edition -- I previously had a problem that was fixed by reseating the keyboard cable. In the course of troubleshooting I ran across the feature "TouchCheck" for my touchpad, and tried to find out what this was but could not find anything in Dell documents or anywhere online. I happened to mention this in a blog and you would not believe how many hits I am getting from, I presume, other people trying to discover what this feature does. Could somebody please tell me? I promise to spread the news. Thank you. --Geo

Message Edited by geodesia on 12-28-2007 09:34 PM

6 Posts

January 2nd, 2008 02:00

Hi, i have the same laptop and now i'm having and annoying problem with my keyboard (i think), it seems that always is sending a key pressed signal therefore most of the time i can't test screensavers, direct3d test, nor see links tooltips, so my question is: was this your problem and what exactly did you do? Best regards.

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2008 01:00

I noticed the problem when selection with my touchpad became erratic, and cycling through open applications with alt-tab was suddenly difficult. Also sometimes a window would lose focus and some window behind would become activated (I work without about five applications open for my job). When I booted the computer in Linux, I found that there was a "keyboard event" happening very regularly, about once per second, but no obvious stuck key in particular that I could find. I followed the service manual directions for reseating the keyboard cable, as suggested by tech support in email communication, and that fixed the problem.

6 Posts

January 3rd, 2008 02:00

Hi thanks for your response, it seems that i have the exact same problem (including the linux part), i'll try to do what you said. Best regards.

3 Posts

April 25th, 2008 00:00

Below is the response from a dell agent on TouchCheck (now PalmCheck - Alps):

The PalmCheck™ feature guards against operating the TouchPad with accidental contact. PalmCheck allows the TouchPad to recognize when your palm is resting on it or brushing its surface while you are typing. This will help to prevent unwanted pointer movement or clicks.

If the TouchPad exhibits undesired pointer movement or clicks, increase the PalmCheck setting by moving the slider to the right toward Maximum. If the TouchPad misses intended motions or taps, decrease the PalmCheck setting by moving the slider to the left toward Minimum. You are more likely to experience missed motions or taps.

No Events found!