Try installing the Sigmatel HD audio driver. There is not one for Windows 7 so you must use the Vista version and install using Vista compatibility mode.
Download the driver package using the browser, not Dell Download Manager. Extract the files (unzip or unpack) but cancel the installation process. Go to the hard drive to
c:\Dell\Drivers\R171786 (This is the folder that is created when you unpack the download. It contains the driver files.)
Right click on setup.exe and select Properties. Find the compatibility tab to select Vista.
Sound Driver for Windows 7 on Dell vostro 1400 with 100% work
After Installing Windows 7 on your Dell vostro 1400
For Sound Driver http://downloads.dell.com/audio/R171786.exe
For Registry File(size 69kb only) mail me @
Hello. Try installing the Sigmatel HD audio driver. There is not one for Windows 7 so you must use the Vista version and install using Vista compatibility mode.
1. Download and save the Sigmatel R171786 audio driver to your desktop or any convenient location on the hard drive.
2. Double click on the new folder to extract (unzip) the driver files.
3. The extractor wizard will create a new folder for the driver files. It will be at "c:\dell\drivers\xxxxxx". Write down the exact location that the wizard creates.
4. If the driver begins to install automatically, halt (cancel) the installation.
5. Browse to the driver files on the hard drive (the location you wrote down).
6. Find the "setup.exe" file.
7. Right click on setup.exe to open the context menu.
8. Select the Properties.
9. Select the Compatibility tab.
10. Check the box "run this program in compatibility mode for Windows Vista.