Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 5th, 2014 10:00

What is the Dell Vostro 2520 headphone jack size

I have purchase new dell vostro 2520 (i5/500/4GB/Win 8)

I listen to songs often in headset. But my headset is not working with this model.

I mean it is not fit for this model. My headset is a normal 3.5 mm jack.

I need to know if Dell Vostro model has some other jack. I couldn't find the instruction regarding this in the laptop manual.

Please help.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 6th, 2014 05:00

I couldn't find the instruction regarding this in the laptop manual.

Dell is quite stingy about giving technical specs for audio. There are none in the Vostro 2520 Setup Guide.

There is a document named the "Owner's Manual" which is actually the Service manual, but it does have a "Specifications" section. This is all of the information it provides for audio:

Pretty poor but typical.

The headphone jack socket of the Vostro 2520 is meant for a TRS plug that looks like this:

If your are using a smart phone type of headset with a TRRS plug there might be some incompatibility. A TRRS plug looks like this:

All I can say is to try a variety of plugs, including a 2.5mm plug if you can. If none fit, if you got your Vostro from Dell there is a 21 day return period during which you can send it back if it is not right for you, but there is a re-stocking fee unless the unit is defective. (If a standard TRS plug will not fit into the jack then I would think it is defective.) Or contact tech support and open a case regarding this issue.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

March 5th, 2014 12:00

3.5 Mm is the standard size for just about everything electronic. Is it too small or too large for the socket? For the 2520, the audio sockets are on the right side of the laptop, just to the left of the CD/DVD drawer.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 5th, 2014 13:00

For the 2520, the audio sockets are on the right side of the laptop, just to the left of the CD/DVD drawer.

Hello. I think you were looking at the Vostro 2420. It is in the same Setup Guide as the Vostro 2520. But you are correct of course that the jack is the standard3.5 mm.

6 Posts

March 5th, 2014 20:00

Thanks @KirkD for your reply.

In my laptop the socket is in the left side and not right. The socket is too small for 3.5 mm headset

6 Posts

March 5th, 2014 20:00

Thanks Jim for your reply

But all my 3.5 mm headsets are too big for the socket I am not sure why........

6 Posts

March 6th, 2014 05:00

Jim,

Thanks very much for your reply.

Yes all my pin are TRRS plug. I now need to search for TRS plug....

I couldn't find some in ebay or flipkart. Hope i will find it.

Any help finding that too is very much appreciated.

I love this forum. All explanations are clear and to the point.

Thanks,

Sarathi.

6 Posts

March 6th, 2014 06:00

Thanks Very much Jim.

None of the link you showed is going to work for me since i am in India and these items cost + shipping is not a good thinking.

All these items are not available in eBay India.

I will try for new headset with TRS plug for headphone and mike.

Thanks very much again.

Sarathi.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 6th, 2014 06:00

Yes all my pin are TRRS plug.

Sarathi, there are plenty of headsets that terminate in 2 TRS plugs (one for the headphones and one for the mic). If you don't want to get a headset like that then you need an adapter to convert your single TRRS plug into 2TRS plugs. That is a rare adapter but I see some on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEElectronics-3-5mm-TRRS-Skype-Adapter-for-PC-22-inches-/140861349002

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XJacKer-Smartphone-Headset-to-PC-Headset-Adapter-Converts-3-5mm-4-pole-TRRS-/200847790092

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-4-Pin-Female-TRRS-to-2-Dual-Male-TRS-Plugs-Mic-Audio-Headphone-Adapter-/281276656177

Here is one from a company that is not ebay:

http://www.showmecables.com/product/iPhone-Head-Set-Breakout-Cable-3-5mm-TRRS-Jack-to-Dual-3-5mm-Stereo-Plug-6-IN.aspx

These are some items I found in a quick google search. I absolutely am not endorsing any of them. You ought to contact any seller to get a statement that any specific item is what you need for your particular purpose, or that their adapter will work with your model of headset.

No Events found!