Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2012 15:00

Why does it make a backup folder?

I must have done something wrong inadvertently.

Here's the scenario:  I take some pictures with a digital camera, that has a MB SD card in it with a few photos on it.  (The folder is called DCIM, with a CANON subfolder, but that doesn't matter.)

I stick the card in my computer to view and transfer the photos.   After I stick the card in and look at it in Windows Explorer, there is a folder  called 'dv4t backup' with some 22 MB.

Before I use the card again, I put it in another computer and send the 'dv4t backup' folder to the trash.

Then, I use it again for some photos.  The 'dv4t backup' folder is back.

What is happening, and how can I stop this?

677 Posts

October 16th, 2012 02:00

Hi ErnieLane1,

It might be an automatic backup folder created when you connect the Canon camera to your system. I suggest that you check if the same issue happens if you connect the camera on a different system. You can also get in touch with Canon technical support to get help.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know in case of any queries.

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

42 Posts

October 16th, 2012 04:00

It might be . . . if I did that.  But I take the card out of the camera and put it in the slot on the side of the computer.  The camera makes the DCIM folder, but  not the dv4t backup one.

And even stranger . . . last night, I opened Windows Explorer and saw the dv4t folder.  So I moved to the trash, saw that it was gone, closed Windows Explorer, and reopened it.  The 'dv4t backup' folder was there.

677 Posts

October 17th, 2012 07:00

Hi ErnieLane1,

I suspect that the 'dv4t' folder is a backup file which gets created once a SD card is in contact with the system. I suggest that you get in touch with Canon technical support.

Please let us know in case of any queries

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

42 Posts

October 20th, 2012 08:00

This is a Dell problem, not a Canon one.  It happens with a newly formatted card and no contact with the camera at all.  The dv4t folder is just bigger.  

763 Posts

October 20th, 2012 10:00

Oddly enough, DV4T is a model of HP laptop. Did you use the memory card for something with an HP Pavilion laptop at some point in time?

Perhaps the folder name is just a coincidence. Or, is the "another computer" a Pavilion DV4T laptop? I am wondering if this issue has anything to do with your Dell.

42 Posts

October 20th, 2012 12:00

Geez, I feel so stupid.  I use a Dell the most, so I "defaulted" to here.  My mistake.

3.8K Posts

May 30th, 2013 14:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                        

No Events found!