Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 26th, 2009 21:00

Windows 7 & Latitude D610 sound card drivers...

Help!  I have upgraded to Windows 7 and cannot find a sound card driver for my Latitude D610.  I know it's an older laptop, but it works great.  I'm making it a gift later this month when I buy my new laptop.  Windows7 is a great OS, but my laptop's not all here! 

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 27th, 2009 06:00

This is the first time this question has come up about 7 on a model with AC97 audio, instead of the current HD audio, so you will have to experiment a little. I would start by trying the Vista audio driver for the D610. It is the Sigmatel R99254. That driver is also for XP. If it does not work I doubt that there is any other one that will, so stick with it and try different things. But it is for Vista 32 and probably would not work with 7 64

First try installing it in the normal way, but I would be surprised if that works for various reasons. So next try this:

Open Device Manager (Device Stage?) and expand System devices near the bottom. Find the PCI Device entry with a ? next to it. Go to the properties and choose to update the driver. Choose to manually find the driver and don't let Windows look for it.
Browse to c:\Dell\drivers\R99254\WDM

But if there is not any PCI device with a ? mark, then look for "Multimedia Audio Controller" and if it is there then update that to the WDM folder.

(After you downloaded the driver, when you unpack the files -- before the actual installation -- it creates the RR99254 folder on the hard drive as the location for the driver files to reside. "WDM" is a sub-folder within the audio driver folder.)

With any luck Windows should detect some new hardware and one of them should be the Sigmatel.

1 Message

March 19th, 2011 16:00

I also am upgrading my Latitude D610 to Windows 7.  I used the Sigmatel R99254 for the Audio driver but I am having trouble finding the correct driver for using the exterior toggle control for volume and using the Fn shortcut key for viewing the battery life.  Any help would be appreciated.

1 Message

February 4th, 2012 12:00

:emotion-2::emotion-1: thanks Jim i got gr8 help from u 2 day i was stuk with no sound at all ..... i follow ur link and instruksions ? i think and wala  i got sound thanks to u and dell .......... kind regards ... johan....

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 16th, 2012 08:00

Good point. My updated instructions for installing an AC97 audio driver into 7 are in section 9 of the Audio Driver FAQ. It explains how to do what ncl585 said.

1 Message

March 16th, 2012 08:00

Follow the Sigmatel R99254 link that Jimco posted and download it to your computer. If it doesn't install and work on its own, go to the Sigmatel R99254file, right click on it, go to properties, and choose to run it compatible with Windows 7. It should work.

1 Message

April 24th, 2012 12:00

Jim, Thank you so very much..I have searched everywhere and finally thanks to you  have solved my audio issue. Again, thank you!

2 Posts

August 27th, 2012 08:00

This worked exactly as you suggested, i.e. I had to run it in compatibility with Windows 7. Thank you for recommending this other approach to Jimco's original email.

2 Posts

August 27th, 2012 08:00

Thank you so much for posting this verified answer.  I downloaded the driver and then, used the compatibility with Windows 7 suggestion from ncl585.  This works!!

1 Message

August 21st, 2015 11:00

It worked for me after installing Windows 10. Thanks a lot!!! :emotion-2:

Les

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 23rd, 2015 05:00

Hi Les. Thanks for the feedback. It's good to know it works on Win10.

No Events found!