Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

April 21st, 2016 16:00

Windows 8.1 system with screen dancing, jumping, or unstable

I have a Inspiron14 R.  It has been generally stable. Now the screen can be unstable - by that I mean  text jumps up a line or two then returns.  I have keyboard icon flashing on and off in the taskbar.  The system is too busy to launch most applications.  One window can be stable and another unreadable at the same time.  Here is what I have found:

• Several hardware diagnostic tests have found no trouble.  
  • Event viewer has a long list of Win32k errors - numbers 263 and 264. 
  • I tried using a three week old  restore point to no avail. 
  • If I either roll back the video driver or update the driver it can stabilize until I reboot. I did go to the Dell site and update 3 drivers shortly before the problem started, and I think the the video driver was among them, but I did not record which drivers I downloaded. 
  • When experiencing the problem, the performance monitor shows heavy CPU usage, even with no applications running.  When I can stabilize the system the CPU usage drops tremendously.

I have been troubleshooting this for about a week.   Any ideas?

April 30th, 2016 10:00

I disabled the on screen keyboard and now the system is running well.  The system would not allow me to disable the on screen keyboard service - even with administrative privileges - so I needed to go into the command prompt through a recovery drive and renamed tabtip.exe and tipband.dll by adding the extension .bak.   (These are in program files\common files\Microsoft shared\ink.)  Since I do not use the function on my laptop, I am not concerned about loosing the function.  However, since I have no idea why this was necessary, I feel a bit uneasy that a future update could replace these files and renew my problem.  Several different virus scans indicate no malware is present.  

Anyone know what the source of my problem might be?

Meanwhile, I am up and running again.

2 Posts

May 2nd, 2016 18:00

win8

No Events found!