Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2014 07:00

blank screen after bios update - Latitude E6410

Hello,

I have a Latitude E6410 working fine. Today, I've reinstalled everything (Windows, Drivers, etc)

Then I've updated the bios (A04) with this update : http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=R305353

The update has been made without any error, and at the end a message said something like 'installation was successfull' in green letters. Cool.
Then the computer rebooted by itself.
Then I've nothing more than a blank screen...Not cool.

Could you please help me ?

Thanks in advance

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

January 7th, 2014 10:00

Hi lordyan,

Please shut down the computer and then run the hardware diagnostics, follow the steps below.

Press the Fn + power this will intitate the hardware diagnostics. Let us know if there is any error code listed. In addition remove and reseat the memory, hard drive and check if the issue persists. Follow the steps below.

To remove and reseat the memory, hard drive use the link below.

http://dell.to/17xTZkS

In this link punch in the system service tag or express service code and you can access the user manual.

Let me know about the progress.

2 Posts

January 7th, 2014 23:00

Hi,

first thank you for replying.

So, I've press FN and the Power button :
-the screen is always black.
-the three leds on the keyboard are blinking as follow :
the first one (the 9) is blinking (blue color) 3 times and during this time the other leds are on (blue color too)
then the first and the second switch off and the last one (the arrow) blink again and again (blue color too)

So I've removed the RAM and the hard drive, and tried the same process with the same result.

Thank for your help

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

January 8th, 2014 13:00

Hi lordyan,

This seems to be an issue with the motherboard; Depending on the warranty status we can help you further, please use the link below to check the warranty status.

http://dell.to/YeuzUO

Please punch in the system service tag or express service code. In case your system warranty has expired please contact the Out of Warranty department 1-800-288-4410 (U.S.Customer only). In case your system is under warranty please send me the system service tag or express service code through a private chat, so that I can help you further. 

Click on my username select start conversation and send me the details. 

2 Posts

February 7th, 2014 07:00

This exact issue happened to me and I was also told it was a motherboard issue. I purchased this computer one year ago and now it is shot because Dell asked us to update Bios. Now Dell is making us pay for the fix if our warranty is up. Dell breaks it but won't fix it. I'm never buying another Dell and I will make sure no one else I know buys one! 

1 Message

June 25th, 2014 06:00

I have the same issue with my DELL LATITUDE E6410 laptop. I have upgraded the Bios as recommended to try and overcome the crippling throttling effects caused by overheating of the graphics chip (apparently). I installed Bios A09 and it never booted up again. Just sits there whirring with a black screen, totally unresponsive. Took it to the local pc repair shop and they said that the bios had killed the motherboard and there was nothing that they could do. And it's out of warranty.

Basically my lapshop was destroyed because I was applying a Dell upgrade to my machine to overcome the ubiquitous overheating problems that have been engineered in and not solved properly.

2 Posts

June 25th, 2014 07:00

Bios killed my motherboard too. However, after arguing for at least an hour with Dell reps, they finally agreed to fix it on their dime (my warranty was out too). They refused to acknowledge that it was Dell's problem but because they paid for the repair, I assume they know it's their fault but just don't want to publicly accept it.

1 Message

December 17th, 2015 11:00

I am going through the exact same problem with my two day old Latitude 7350.  First it would randomly shut down after 20-39 min of use, then upgrade the bios and it turned into a brick. I am extremely frustrated with the support and the product overall.  Get this... I am a Dell employee!!!  I am going to dispute the charge on my credit card and buy an Apple. Buyer beware of these faulty products.

3 Posts

October 12th, 2016 05:00

Hi to all and sorry to hear that Dell kinda became a lame brand...

My history:

Always wanted a Dell, i have dream about it - a powerful beautiful long lasting piece of tech.

Started to search online a laptop e6420, e5430 something in this area.

One day i find it: e5420 i5 4gb back-light keyboard webcam, all perfect BUT without HDD - 75€ price, i have jumped on the seller, send it an sms and one hour later my dream was in my back sit on my car on the road to home.

The moment i have buy it i have powered on the laptop, entered the BIOS - all was there: the CPU, the RAM all settings available.

Back home i have put it in my desk and let it there few days as i was busy with some home improvements.

2 days ago i have plugged in a 500Gb fully working HDD (with WIN7 installed) and pushed the POWER button.............. after Dell logo screen (i start to hate it actually) the screen goes BLANK, the only thing i see is a cmd type cursor that flicker 2-3 times than NOTHING !!!

Oh boy i said... something smell like cat ***... Going online and first gggl results was this bleeding Dell forum :(( SO my dream was washed away totally, and i have advised ALL my customers or friends to buy a Dell if they want a solid machine :( stoopid move...

Of course i have opened the back cover, powered on and to figure out that the fan is not spinning at all and the pipes became very hot in a matter of 10-20 sec.

Can i have the HUGE luck to replace the fan and the laptop became functional ???

I will totally take it apart and see if the LVDS cable is ok and i don't know.

If i will not be able to find a fast and cheap fix i will spend my time and energy to make people know about the going down dell brand.

I mean boys how the FK could you make a BIOS update (to fix heating problems) and damage the motherboards ???

Yeah you could tell me that's the risk if i have buy it on the street corner... ok but when i see that the exact the same model was fried after 1 year, i congrats myself, at least i have not payed a ton of cash for a under mediocre product...

I'm not saying that all Dell series ***, but for me FIRST contact matters, and for the moment the first contact became the last one.

So sorry to OP if i have posted on the wrong section, anyway i see that the dell geeks don't even bother to answer anymore so another "pink" point for your services...

Hope you all to find the cheap solution and fix your to pricey machines...

Have a not blank dell style day

5 Posts

October 14th, 2016 01:00

Dellsks, your issue doesn't even sound like an actual issue.  It sounds like you don't know what you are doing and should never bought a computer without a hard drive.  

My suggestion would be to install windowa.  You can't just take a hard drive with windows installed from a random laptop and put it in the laptop without formatting and reinstalling windowa.  

I guarantee that will fix your problem.  

As for the fan, laptops are designed to use the fan when needed, it won't turn the fan on unless it gets warm enough. It is a battery saving feature the hotter the computer gets the faster it spins but if it's not hot enough it won't spin at all.   When you install windowa I bet the fan will kick on during the installation

No Events found!