Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

7 Posts

May 25th, 2008 04:00

gnats or mites in my laptop?

i purchased an xps in november/december 07.  from the get-go, i periodically notice what appears to be a gnat fly out when i open the lid.  i'd not put two and two together until now - gnats inside a brand new laptop is not something i'd expect. 

i surfed the net today and found mention about this problem in only one spot, the expert answering the inquiry stating that though the creatures obviously cannot find food inside the screen, they thrive on the heat.  i now realize i sometimes hear a noise inside the laptop, a "frying" kind of noise, that has never amounted to anything, so i've always forgotten about it.  i've no idea if it's related.

has anyone here ever heard of this?  if so, can it cause a problem with the laptop?  i've had some problems off and on with windows shutting off on its own.  last month my system had to be restored to its factory state because of this, which i'm sure anyone can understand is a pain due to gettign trend micro off again.

this "gant" problem has occurred from the time i opened the box, so if that's it, it came from the factory that way.  thoughts?  what can i do about this?

7 Posts

May 25th, 2008 05:00

in case it matters, another way to describe that "frying" noise in my XPS 1330 could be "crackling" or "static."

3 Apprentice

• 

8.8K Posts

May 25th, 2008 14:00

Bugs.....

Hmmmm

zb1
Message Edited by zbestwun2001 on 05-25-2008 08:49 AM

2.9K Posts

May 27th, 2008 09:00

Ajaxblu,

I've never seen bugs in a laptop, but I have seen live roaches and mice destroy desktop motherboards.  Are you sure it was a gnat, and not a fruit fly?   Seriously, I recommend that users wash their hands after eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to avoid such problems.  The screen's backlight and/or its high voltage components could possibly attract certain types of flying insects.  To date, I know of no hacker who has figured out a way to teleport a real live bug over the Internet.  Look at the "bright" side.  You may have discovered that old laptop screens can be used as bug zappers.

Hope this info helps.

Tony 

7 Posts

May 27th, 2008 19:00

thanks guys.  i know it sounds ridiculous, and believe me, it's taken me 6 months to even consider.  that expert who answered the question i found on some other site referred to these as flying mites.  a fruit fly is certainly possible, though i never have food near the laptop.

thanks for the replies.

2.9K Posts

May 28th, 2008 01:00

Ajaxblu,

Did a little research.  Take a look at these descriptions of computer loving mites by Barry M. Connor, Curator and Professor, Museum of Zoology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.  Apparently, you are not the only person who has experienced this type of bug infestation on a laptop or LCD screen.

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/mites.html

Tony

Message Edited by tgsmith on 05-27-2008 10:01 PM

7 Posts

May 28th, 2008 01:00

ew.  tony - thank you so much for the link.  i guess the next step is to call dell?  we don't find these thiings anywhere else in our home. 

1 Message

September 9th, 2012 17:00

I had gnat coming out my laptop alot of times .I was freaking out.My laptop is a mac book anyway....do you know how to get rid of it?

No Events found!